Exercise and weight gain

Struggling with weight control? Tried every diet on earth? The Glycemic Index, Low-Carbs, etc...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Exercise and weight gain

Postby Hanbannah » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:33 pm

6 weeks ago I did a month bootcamp 3 times a week as well as cycling and running two days a week. I clogged my calories and ate at or just below the recommended allowance and took measurements and weight and fat percentage before and after my "healthy month". So after all this I actually gained weight, gained fat and got bigger in all measurements apart from my chest. The last couple of weeks, I've exercised much less and eaten healthily and have lost 3 kgs. Any idea why I gain weight with more rigorous exercise? It is not just muscle, it's fat I am gaining! Does this happen to anyone else with pcos?
Hanbannah

Re: Exercise and weight gain

Postby Tessicaw » Thu May 28, 2015 10:32 pm

Hiya, I have exactly the same problem and cannot figure out why. I made sure to eat enough calories and am pretty much healthy (a few naughty days here and there) and I have gotten bigger and heavier since doing exercise. I also have some of those fancy scales which told me that my body fat percentage has gone up. It is something I just cannot figure out so I definitely feel your confusion! If anyone can shed light on this that would be really interesting to hear as I am baffled and not sure whether to keep exercising or stop,
Tessicaw

Re: Exercise and weight gain

Postby Katrina M » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:53 pm

Hi both, I had the same issue and turned to a personal trainer for help. It may depend on your physical make up but I would recommend doing HIIT (high intensity interval training), apparently it's recommended for PCOS. The trainer also talked about times during the day to eat, I was told that it's better to eat small meals regularly, so breakfast then a snack, lunch, then a snack and dinner then a snack, that way your body knows it's getting fuel all the time so will burn off the fat. The snacks should be healthy, e.g. almonds or avocado on a slice of brown bread, that kind of thing. Also cut out carbs as much as possible and have your overall diet made up of 70% protein and the rest veggies etc.
Katrina M

Return to Weight & Healthy Eating