verity newbie, but feel lost...

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

verity newbie, but feel lost...

Postby Scholesy1760 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:59 pm

so this is me... 29years old and have known i have had pcos since i was 16 and as im now about to turn 30 in less than a year, i really thought I would be a mum by now, but my symptoms seem worse than ever and so I don't know where to start!?
I just feel lost...
My doctors don't seem to know a great deal, just that my weight is to blame for everything...
at 16 my auntie (who found out she had pcos whilst trying to concieve) told my mum she thinks i have pcos as my periods had disappeared and had put on quite a bit of weight in a short space of time. so after mum suggested this to the doctors they sent me for blood tests and scans and yes i have it. but at 16year old Being told you won't have regular periods, and i had some cysts on my ovaries. I didn't really understand what the big deal was...
fastforward to 29 and I'm overweight, I haven't had a period for 18months and even at that I only had one in the 12months before that and it's been this way since the day I found out... I seem to have more skin tags and I can't even begin to say how down the hair growth makes me, I mean seriously I could grow a beard quicker than my hubby, never mind the other parts of my body...
I just dont no where to start to get back on track, it's not even all about fertility, it's about getting to a place where I feel more In control!
A month ago I went to the doctors, he said try metformin, but didn't really say how it would help and also to lose weight with diet and exercise, but what diet???
I really want to become more positive but i just never realised how much 'just some cysts on my ovaries' would effect me....
If anyone has some words of wisdom, or advise on metformin or diet it will be gladly appreciated. Thank you. xx
Scholesy1760

Re: verity newbie, but feel lost...

Postby Hols969 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:12 pm

The cysts are only a symptom and not the cause of pcos so the name is really misleading. Look at the NICE guidelines on PCOS as it tells you what to expect. As for weight, you need to find a diet that suits you, there are lots of successful ones but it really is down to what fits in with your lifestyle. I quite like the 5:2 diet, mentally its tough to think of the fast days but actually I found it has changed my attitude at being hungry totally.

Oh and my butt is hairier than my hubbies!! If you can afford it, laser will make a massive difference to you. I had this done about 5 years ago now, expensive but the best thing Ive ever done. Nothing is permanent for us so you do need to maintain it. I no longer have a beard and no dark shadow too and no longer constantly touching my face. I tried to get it via the NHS but classed as cosmetic (beard on a woman is NOT cosmetic :-) )

BMI for fertility needs to be below 30 to get any treatment. You can lose weight (I lost 3 stone on the Norah Lane diet about 4 years ago (and fluctuate by a stone now and again and do the 5:2 now to shift it). Key to it really is finding something you can get along with, if you hate a diet you wont stick to it. Make sure you cut out all white carbs and as much sugar as poss (and any processed stuff) as its a huge no no for us.

The end it on a positive though, the one good thing about pcos is our egg quality remains better for longer, I conceived Noah when I was 36, so you do have plenty of time so ignore that ticking clock.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Scholesy1760 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:26 pm

good job we can laugh at how hairy we are, tbh I think I struggle with this the most, fatness you can hide with nice clothes these days, but a hairy back and sideburns is the hardest to cover up especially in summer. I have everything waxed, but I have been considering laser removal for the facial hair a lot recently, just weren't really sure how long it would last..
I do have pcos, I don't quite know what happened, I have always been back and forth to the hospital and when I was 20they said it was pcos and added the word syndrome, the doctors said to change my lifestyle which I never fully understood until now, I do so well healthy eating and going the gym and then I have a day where I feel emotional and binge.
With regards to your eggs, I feel so so so positive reading this, I was told by a doctor after 25 I will really struggle. I have been with my husband for 10 years and I suppose I thought, I will never need help I can do it all by myself...
But now I'm ready, but I guess I need to focus on me first, I started heAlthy eating (guided by slimming world) a month ago and have lost 5lb upto now, but will look into the 5:2 diet...
Im just concerned they put me on metformin but I don't really understand what it does, so I'm going to be reading through quite a few posts to get my head around it.
Thank you soooo much for replying to me though. Xx
Scholesy1760

Postby Hols969 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:01 am

mmm metformin has quite a lot of question marks - a lot of ladies with pcos are insulin resistant which is prior to getting diabetes, but not everyone is, I am not. Metformin can help if you are IR but the Verity advisors are quite concerned that pcos ladies get put on it when they are not even tested for IR and what the long term damage could be by taking a drug that isnt needed. It isnt licenced for pcos either but is for IR and diabetes.

If you can afford laser then I sooooo recommend it - SK:N do a 30% discount for pcos ladies and interest free credit too, I have had laser and ipl and in my view ipl isnt as strong so you dont get such good results. You must shave prior to having it done, ideally for 6 weeks before, to get the best results.

You WILL get pregnant, it just can take some time, so try not to worry too much, it is pretty rare not to conceive just because of pcos. You need to get hubbie tested too, my hubbie had a shocking result with lots of dead and two tailed sperm but after a year of being on the Boots Vit C and zinc tablets it improved by over 100% so get hubbie on those just to be sure. I conceived Noah via IUI in the end which only had a 13% success rate so we feel very lucky to have him. TTC is tough though and can be very depressing so definitely exercise to try and combat the stress of it all. One thing you may want to try is my first IUI failed, 2nd attempt successful and the only difference between the two was that I had reflexology once a week.

You must make sure you have 4 periods a year though to keep your uterus healthy and the GP should prescribe something for you to force a bleed. There is lots of help out there though,

I lost 5lb on the first week on 5:2 so definitely try it (I only had a stone to lose), it feels tough mentally (I have a large bowl of porridge for breakfast and that is it), the hunger grumbles do go (do it on a day when you are busy). Hubbie has something for breakfast and dinner but I can be more strict if I only eat in the morning as Im worried once I have something in the evening I will want to continue eating!

Good luck, you will get there in the end.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Scholesy1760 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:44 pm

I think when I'm off work next I'm going to book a doctors appointment, just so hard because each time I go I see someone new so hit a brick wall... I think my plan would be question metformin, and talk about my lack of periods. I have had the tablet to force a bleed a few times in the past...

I'm just at the minute researching hair removal near where I live. I just didn't want to pay all that money and it not work.

Before trying to be a mum, I'm going to use these months before my 30th to focus on me. My weight and my man hair :lol:

And hopefully it will be the start of me being incontrol of my pcos...
Thank you so much for your help, I can't explain how down I have felt about it all recently and that no one understands me. And I'm really glad I plucked up the courage to write a post and not just read others. And I hope others do the same too!!!
Scholesy1760

Return to Verity Cafe