Baby Wrap slings

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Baby Wrap slings

Postby youlemming » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi, looking into types of slings that are more suitable from birth and keep baby close making every day tasks still managable.
Had a baby bjorn before but only used it later on once DD was big enough for it to feel secure, looking more for a wrap type this time.
Any recommendations for which ones to look at, there are too many out there to know where to start!
50mg Clomid May
50mg June = BFP!!!!!
Due 9th March 2010
Amelia 09/03/10 7lb 14oz
Dec BFP with No.2 - Girl due 31st July 2015
Phoebe 31/07/2015 8lb 2oz
youlemming

Re: Baby Wrap slings

Postby Amber » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:04 pm

I have the baby wrap which is about £19 on Amazon. You can buy an official Moby Wrap which is the same thing but twice the price. It is basically a long piece of material that you wrap around yourself. If you look on YouTube you will find lots of examples of how to use the wrap. I found it useful when I got out of hospital for getting out the house as I had a c-section and the travel system was too heavy to use at that time. It was also a good way to get the baby to sleep.
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
6 x Clomid 50mg Ov BFN - 24-26 days
1 x clomid 100mg over stimulated
Cyclogest
IVF 1st round - 2 blasts BFN
Letting thing happen naturally
BFP @ 11 wks - Nov 12 mmc 12 wks
BFP @ 8 wks - 21/05/14 EDD 31/12/14
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby sicily » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:58 pm

I'm a bit of a sling and wrap addict/geek! I still carry my 2yr old...
The moby wrap is a bit thick/unmanageably long which put me off.
An easier and lighter stretchy wrap for up to 3 or 4 months is the Hana or Karime wrap but as they get heavier you will need to switch to a woven wrap. The market for these is fascinatingly complicated and you can pay anything from £30-hundreds for a high end/highly sought after one. There are several Facebook groups including slings and things or affordable slings for sale or trade if you want to start somewhere with advice and options. If you do want to start wrapping I highly recommend a visit to your local sling library or seeking out a local sling meet.
Another option which is easier and feels like a stretchy wrap is the close caboo. It's quicker to get in and off and it's what I plan to use if we have another (had my IVF egg collection today, so fingers crossed!) as it'll be easier with a toddler running around.
As I said, stretchies will probably only last until about 3-4 months until they become uncomfortable, same with the baby bjorn buckled carrier, which is not ideal in many ways because wearers start to experience a sore back after a few months and it is a narrow based carrier so your baby is being effectively 'dangled'. Look for a wide based carrier which supports inward facing baby's legs and bum in an M shape. BB have actually now brought one of these out. The narrow based BB is not unsafe per se, it's just that for optimal hip development and to avoid hop displasyia in a baby already at risk of it, wide based carriers are best and more comfortable. Most wide based carriers provide support at the hips and reduce back strain. Brands of buckled carriers that are popular are ergo (but many fakes so buy from a reputable seller) but you need a newbirn insert for it, manduca which has an unbuilt insert for newborns, Tula which looks lovely but doesn't have the option of crossing straps at the back (I have the toddler size for my LO and use it regularly), connecta which is amazing in that it doesn't have a wide hip band but is still v supportive (still carry my 2yr old in a toddler sized one for short journeys!) and a good buckles for a new baby is the beco Gemini or butterfly although you may find this only goes up to about 12-18 months depending on size of baby.
I can't recommend babywearing enough! It's a wonderful bonding experience. My clingy Velcro baby lived in a sling and now when we need to reconnect there is nothing like a cuddle or nap in the sling, or a back carry off on an adventure to somewhere like our muddy woods or a beach where you can't take a buggy. I've found it super helpful living in London for buses, tube etc. she barely went in her buggy until she was 8 months old and even her grandmas and grandpas have carried her in a sling.

I will try to find you some links about optimal carry positions too. Xx
sicily

Postby youlemming » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:29 pm

That's great thank you for the replies and the links Sicily I will have fun doing some research :)
50mg Clomid May
50mg June = BFP!!!!!
Due 9th March 2010
Amelia 09/03/10 7lb 14oz
Dec BFP with No.2 - Girl due 31st July 2015
Phoebe 31/07/2015 8lb 2oz
youlemming

Postby Jaffa1 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:57 am

Thanks for the info, I bought a maxi cosi easia before baby was born but they have to be 3.5kg and at 7weeks she is still under 3kg so I bought a close caboo as that's good from 2.3kg. Can't wait for it to arrive! I'll let you know how we go with it.
Diagnosed PCOS 2000 aged 19
TTC since Feb 2012
July 2013 - Clomid 100mg - unresponsive (70 day cycle)
Oct 2013 HSG
Natural BFP November 2013, mc at 10 weeks
Natural BFP April 2014, mc at 5 weeks
Natural BFP 1st June 2014 - hoping and praying
EDD 6/2/15. Jovie Elizabeth born 19/1/15 4lb 11oz
On cerazette til July 2016, ttc again
http://fertilityfriend.com/home/470f13/
Jaffa1

Postby hope07 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:56 pm

Can highly recommend going along to a local sling library x

I had a moby, which was ok- like a budget ring sling which was fab for sort trips.
I dipped my toe Ito the world of woven a but they weren't for me, I so wanted to love them due to how beautiful the fabric is, but I didn't so I moved onto buckles- firstly had an ergo (beware fakes) and now I have a toddler Tula- I'm next fancing a Madame goo goo pre school carrier.

Bw'ing with #2 made life much easier, even bf in the sling :)
Happy shopping!

(Can highly recommend b2boutique- great customer service)
7 -1st Trimester M/C's- TTC since Oct 05

Mummy to two beautiful children
1 DS- IVF
1 DD- Natural BFP
hope07

Postby Jaffa1 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:22 am

Just to say I love the close caboo, I have a very angry baby right now and I stuff her in and can get on with things as she calms right down and goes to sleep :-) She feels so cosy and snug.
TTC since Feb 2012
Oct 2013 HSG
Jaffa1

Postby sicily » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:06 pm

Jaffa I'm so pleased :) honestly, next to your heart is the best place to keep them. Keep her close as long as you can as they grow so fast. I carry my 2 yo less and less but sometimes she still needs the hugs and it helps us re bond after difficult times. I want another so badly partly so I can carry them and I already have a close caboo waiting. Sadly our second ivf just failed so I don't know when #2 will be in our arms, if ever. So you enjoy your cuddles and don't let anyone tell you it will create bad habits! Xx
sicily

Postby Jaffa1 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:32 am

Oh Sicily you brought a little tear to my eyes, sorry to hear that. I wish you lots of luck and thank you for the lovely words. I will cherish her, she is a very special little lady to us xx
TTC since Feb 2012
Oct 2013 HSG
Jaffa1

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood