Laser Hair Removal

Excess hair, hair loss, acne, skin tags etc... Discuss!

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Laser Hair Removal

Postby clare0708 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:48 pm

I was diagnosed around 13 years ago. I am now 47.

I have excess hair growth on my neck and chin mainly. My upper lip has very fine growth. I tried electolysis for years which did help the upper lip but not the neck. I am very pale skinned with black hair so I think this helps with the LHR!

I have read up on Laser hair removal and thought if was worth a try and have booked in for a consulation with Sk:n tomorrow. I am not taking any hormonal medication though so I wonder if this will affect the success of the LHR should I decide to go ahead. I read on a US forum that it was more effective if the hormonal issue was being addressed too.

I have taken metformin and spironolactone in the past (over 8 years ago) but found they didn't do a lot for me. I have tried vaniqa but didn't persevere enough I don't think and now it's no longer available in this area. on the NHS.

I have always spent a good 30 mins a day plucking but stopped earlier this week after reading what others have said about shaving if you are having LHR. I shaved yesterday my neck and chin for the first time and am horrified by the stubble today! The clinic said they needed some hair to patch test but I think I'll have to get rid of some before then!
clare0708

Re: Laser Hair Removal

Postby Hols969 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:01 pm

Lol you do get used to the shaving - feels really weird at first. Ideally shave for 6 weeks prior to the first appointment to get thebest results. My beard/neck area is 99% free now and was actually the area it seemed to work on best and quickest. I was at skin too, it's expensive but so worth it. Good luck.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby clare0708 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:06 pm

Hols969 wrote:Lol you do get used to the shaving - feels really weird at first. Ideally shave for 6 weeks prior to the first appointment to get thebest results. My beard/neck area is 99% free now and was actually the area it seemed to work on best and quickest. I was at skin too, it's expensive but so worth it. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.

99% free sounds amazing! Do you take any medication for the condition? I'm not bothered about the cost - I'll spend anything to try and help the problem!
clare0708

Postby Hols969 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:23 pm

I am on the combined contraceptive pill but have been for 25 years. It takes about 15 sessions rather than 6 as they suggest at most places, you do then need to maintain it. I haven't had it done for two years now and I get the odd black hair on my neck and goaty area now and against should probably go for a top up sometime this year.

Did u mention you have pcos as you usually get a discount at skin as you need more sessions?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby clare0708 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:50 pm

Yes, I did mention the PCOS. But they have a 30% offer on at the moment. I will mention tomorrow about the need for further treatment and a discount.

Not going back for two years is amazing! You must be delighted.
clare0708

Postby clare0708 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:23 pm

Well, I had the consultation on Saturday for LHR so will probably go ahead and give it a try soon.

I am finding the shaving hard to get used to though. I am wet shaving my chin and neck and keep nicking myself. This is through experimenting with direction of shave v hair growth direction!

I wondered if using an electric shaver might be better. My eyesight isn't brilliant either so I might find the electric one easier maybe.

Any comments on this welcome!
clare0708

Return to Hair & Skin