Really heavy period

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Really heavy period

Postby lucyS5444 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:46 am

I'm 19 years old and was diagnosed probably about 3 ish years ago. I went about 24 months without any period at all, and then the occasional six monthly one day bleed. I was put on met years ago, but gave up on it due to the side effects, so for the last 2 + years I have had no medication or treatment. However, I have struggled but succeeded to lose 3 stone in weight, and have maintained this for about a year now, so that I have managed to become a healthy BMI for my height. About six months ago, I began having a very, very light period every month/ 2 months, lasting a day. It has become heavier every time, but even last month, it was still light and lasted just over a day. However, yesterday, I got my period and it is the heaviest I have ever had, and I have for the first time since I was 15, had to use tampons. I am concerned though, as I have never had it this heavy whether it is normal amount? It feels like a lot. Also, when I pass urine, the water is tinted red. I have never had this either. There is also like red jelly bits of blood, that's aren't very big.
I haven't seen my consultant for over 2 years, since I found him so awful. He used to just say 'pcos isn't a proper condition - if you're fat your periods stop.' Obviously, I am so put off from this I don't want to see a doctor, so can someone please offer some reassurance that this is normal?
Also, does it mean as my periods have become regular in the past six months and also much, much heavier that they may be returning to normal? I don't have really any of the other symptoms apart from I used to be overweight and have a little bit of hair on my stomach which I shave. Thank you so much in advance for all your help and sorry this is so long winded! Xx
lucyS5444

Re: Really heavy period

Postby wrigglepup » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:28 pm

Hiya Lucy
I have had heavy periods like that but don't have any now as on cerelle contraceptive pill which can stop them altogether.
Well done losing the weight!
That doctor sounds handy, pcos can be pretty serious although not the worst condition to have it does need managing this man should know better!
So annoying, could you not ask to speak to someone else? X
wrigglepup

Postby lucyS5444 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks @wrigglepup for your reply. I don't really feel like seeing another doctor now, as it really put me off, and if my periods are normal at the moment, do I need to worry about it, as I don't want children any time soon, and am managing to maintain my weight. If you were me, would you just leave the condition at the moment? If my periods were this heavy every month, I assume it would be 'normal'?
lucyS5444

Postby lucyS5444 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:32 pm

wrigglepup wrote:Hiya Lucy
I have had heavy periods like that but don't have any now as on cerelle contraceptive pill which can stop them altogether.
Well done losing the weight!
That doctor sounds handy, pcos can be pretty serious although not the worst condition to have it does need managing this man should know better!
So annoying, could you not ask to speak to someone else? X

See below please :) x
lucyS5444

Postby wrigglepup » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:02 pm

I am quite happy with my pcos at the moment too, I've also got my weight down ( for the first time in my life) and keep it off.
Armed with the knowledge of the correct diet. Personally if you are feeling ok I wouldn't worry for now but if you have any concerns you can always speak to a gp.
I have heard that we should maybe have regular diabetes checks, I have asked the nurse about that and she just said my bmi was ok so I should be fine (humm that worked) I may speak to my gp and see if I have any joy with him, when I can be bothered. I am avoiding sugar in the hope that that will protect me! X
wrigglepup

Return to Verity Cafe