New diagnosis of PCOS!! Help!

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

New diagnosis of PCOS!! Help!

Postby Tori-Louise93 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:37 pm

Hey there everyone!

I'm new to this but I guess here it goes!
I'm 21 and have just been diagnosed with PCOS. I've had ongoing problems with periods for a long time, although these have been disguised by the pill. I've been on the pill for my irregular periods since I was 15, and have had them changed TEN times because of pains, acne, and severe mood swings.
The gp couldn't work out what was wrong with me: swabs, urine tests, blood tests, std tests, a smear test, and nothing was found out. I was given antibiotics for "infections" that I didn't officially have, (they said they'd prescribe them as a blanket option as they were unsure) which made me sick.

I finally had a scan in October, which revealed a golf ball sized cyst on my left ovary. By this point, I hadn't had a period since the end of May. My skin was horrendous, severely oily and covered in painful spots. The cyst has been painful: I've been on a course of co-codymal, and have struggled to do daily things without being in pain.

I finally got to see a gynaecologist Wednesday. I told her my full back story, she looked at my scan again, and informed me that 100% I have PCOS.

I'll have another scan in December (to check on cyst) and go back to the gynaecologist in January. I'm also going to the gp next week for help with my depression (I've been having horrendous anxiety attacks and lows for past few months).

I'm quite overwhelmed by the news, and don't really know what to think. The gynaecologist was really lovely: just a bit frustrated that all the gp's I've seen haven't worked it out before :( I've been told to stay off the pill for now as it'll just aggravate the cyst I have atm (if it's still causing me pain in January then the gynae will put me forward for keyhole surgery).

However, my skin is awful and my periods are all over the place! I don't really know where to start with treatments! I'm not overweight at all, but I do struggle to eat healthily and exercise because of bloating/pain. What to do!! Any advice/support would be hugely appreciated :)

Thank you xxx
Tori-Louise93

Re: New diagnosis of PCOS!! Help!

Postby Hols969 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:54 am

This doesn't sound like a pcos cyst as they do not cause pain as they are follicles really so cysts is a bit misleading (along with the name), PCOS cysts naturally disperse back into the body, whereas the other type of cysts can keep growing and need removing as they can rupture. The problem is the combined pill will help with all the general pcos symptoms so its strange that you have been advised not to take them as the other cysts is not related to pcos. As for bloating, I used to be awful but now eat six small meals a day to keep my metabolism higher as we do tend to slow down. The bloating I had was so uncomfortable but I know what triggers it off (apples are awful for me) so try and do a food diary and see what triggers it perhaps. As for the anxiety / depression, this is pretty common in PCOS ladies so I would consider anti depressants, I was on them for a while and then off them for a few years and have just gone on them again for anxiety (Im on citalopram) and they are brilliant, they just make life much much easier again.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Verity Cafe