keeping to a bed time routine with a new baby

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

keeping to a bed time routine with a new baby

Postby Fitch » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:40 pm

hi just after some advice really!!

I have a nearly 14month old son that has always been a good night sleeper and we have always (since he was 1 month old) had a bedtime routine which I think helped!! we have recently had a new baby (1 week old) and im just wondering how the bed time routine will work now?? we are very lucky that my husband is off for a month so one of us baths, dresses and settles my son whilst other has baby but how will it work when he is back at work on a late?? (he does 1-3 lates a week depending on rota)

Bedtime routine is:
upstairs at 1845
bath, brush teeth & get dressed
lights low, read book/singing whilst he has a bedtime bottle
put in cot for him to fall asleep (asleep by 730 sleeps through till 0700/0730)

any advice welcome

cheers
Fitch

Re: keeping to a bed time routine with a new baby

Postby espoir » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:31 pm

Congratulations!!! I would just keep to what you're doing if you can. Our DS is a bit older than yours though, but since the babies arrived his bedtime has got pushed back til about 8 (previously he was going between 7 and 7.30, now between 7.30 and 8.00). What time is your baby going down at? I try to deal with the babies first, so that DS has some time alone with me. We don't do bath time every night though.
espoir

Postby shinycat » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:37 pm

Congrats on the new baby! I found it best to make the newborn fit around the toddler, so DD (who was older than your DS - almost 2) kept her 7pm bedtimes with the whole routine of stories, teeth cleaning and all the rest, then we dealt with DS after that. Obviously at this very young age they don't have a "bedtime" as such anyway. The only thing I changed was we started doing a bath every single night, to try to start bedtime associations with DS. I would feed him while reading DD's stories, and as much as possible try to avoid having to delay her bedtime because of his crying. As they got older I carried on in the same way, putting DS to bed immediately after DD, although some days he'd be so exhausted that wouldn't work. But by and large, a toddler is less able to tolerate change than a baby, so you may find you are better off putting his routine first, except in times of bad teething or whatever - then it all goes out the window and you just do what you can!!
shinycat

Postby Kasha » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi Fitch. congratulations!
As above. The baby will settle into the toddler's routine. From as early as I could (probably around 4-6wks, cant remember now) I took the baby up with first Caoimhe, and then Caoimhe and Teaghan, put oldest to bed, then took baby into our room for feed and bedtime routine. In the case of both my youngests it did mean bringing them downstairs if they didn't settle, but I just kept at it. I was lucky this time round that my hubby was available if i needed a bit of help, but when Tig was little he wasn't always there after the first couple of weeks so i just had to get on with it basically! you'll find it will all slot into place x

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood