Any one use E-cigarettes?

A place to discuss all non-related PCOS topics

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Any one use E-cigarettes?

Postby Hols969 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:17 am

I stupidly started smoking again 6 weeks or so ago when I was made redundant and am struggling to give up again. Has anyone used the e-cigs and if so which brand did they use, there are so many out there that Im not sure what to choose, and then you can buy disposable ones or refillable ones and Im not sure which would be better!!

Any help would be good. Thanks
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: Any one use E-cigarettes?

Postby SilverLining » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi Holly, I haven't tried those before but I did try the new nicorette mouth spray. I managed to go smoke free about 2-3 weeks I think by using that. I was not ready to quit so I did start again. But when I was ready I went to my docs to see a smoking cessation nurse and was prescribed Champix. This drug is only given under supervision as it does have side effects. I started with a small dose then increased it after a week. You are only on the course for a maximum 12 weeks as it can become addictive but after the 3rd week, I was smoke free for 2.5 weeks (yes, it really did work that quick!) I needed to stop straight away as I got my BFP which is now my youngest :) I havent has a smoke now for about 14-15months. Have you tried the nicorette plastic puffers? I have heard to brush teeth or chew gum when you have the urge to smoke, also washing hands?! Good luck. Hope you manage to kick it again.
SilverLining

Postby SilverLining » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:15 pm

How's the no smoking going Holly?
SilverLining

Postby Hols969 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:34 am

Hi SL - I havent given up totally yet but have gone from about 18 to 6 a day, another few weeks and hopefully I will be off the fags totally!! It has been 'mental' rather than anything but actually the e-cigs are ok, just ordered some new flavours as well so that maybe nice!! we shall see....

Hows things going with you?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby hrh2409 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:31 am

Hi Hols, I struggle with this too. I read Allen Carr's Easy Way book and it really did work and was easy! I have researched the e-cigs and although they are certainly better than the cigs there is so much that isn't yet known about what goes into the e-cigs. If you haven't already I'd def recommend giving Allen Carr a go. I used the audio book version and my husband read the book - they are equally as good, I think.

Good luck x
hrh2409

Postby Hols969 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:32 am

Ive done the Allen Carr book and managed to give up last time, things feel different this time though and work/life is more stressful as Im now a contractor so there is always the worry I may not get work (and Im the main breadwinner) so I dont think it will work at the moment. Agree with you though, its just one addiction for another really and they dont know what are in the e-cigs and the long term effects of it. Hopefully once the work settles down or feels more stable maybe I will try the book again - I do like the flavours of e-cigs though I have to say, am on Strawberry crush at the mo.....
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby hrh2409 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:52 pm

I know exactly what you mean - I did Allen Carr and quit for 6 months and then went back. It was strange because I almost had to force myself into it again (like you do when you first start). Trying to stop again now. Totally understand you wanting to try something different - I've heard good things about e-cigs (I actually do the PR for one of the big brands) but I just know that the MHRA has some concerns. Anything has got to be better then tobacco though so good on you. I hope it works! xxx
hrh2409

Postby Hols969 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:31 am

I gave up for over 7 years!!! but started to smoke on a disasterous holiday a few years back (which was ok as I didnt when I got home) but did put it back in my mind again so when I was made redundant I reached straight for a fag... mad really and the fact you have to smoke quite a few to get past the disgusting taste - why do we do it, it tastes disgusting initially!!
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Off Topic