The routine and sleep thread

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Postby Anilav » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:05 pm

Kasha are you sure she's not hungry? J had a bad growth spurt between 5 and 8 weeks where some days he was feeding every hour and two hourly through the night. When I look back at our really unsettled days I think hunger played a large part.

MMC 9 wks Aug 2013
Chemical pregnancy Dec 2013
Anilav

Postby Kasha » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:19 pm

It did cross my mind, but she doesn't always want feeding sometimes she just settles with her dummy and a cuddle. Mind you she has fed quite a lot before bed tonight. She is being weighed tomorrow so we'll see :)

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Clarey » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Kasha have you tried slinging her? F spends most of the day in the sling and sleeps really well in it - even through an hour and a half of chasing J around soft play yesterday. He also likes to sleep. On one of us, and at least in the sling he does sleep and I can get on with other stuff. We struggle to get him to sleep anywhere else other than in his cot at night. He sleeps in the car but wakes up literally as soon as we stop. Same in the buggy.

Oh and he still feeds 2 hourly in the day too, 3 hourly at night. He is 7 weeks now and went through massive growth spurt at 6 weeks.
DS1 born March 09
DS2 born July 11
Clarey

Postby Kasha » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:37 pm

I haven't tried the sling tbh might give it a go. Spoke to the hv this morning,she thinks it could be the thrush upsetting her. Shes coming on monday so will see how we are over the weekend.
She slept for 7 hrs overnight, woke me at 3-4 for boob and had a really good feed from both sides, then woke at 7.30, really bright and alert. Had an hrs sleep in her pram and went 4hrs 10-2 between feeds, sohappy with that. I still think it was being over tired, and too tired to feed, so too hungry maybe to sleep...vicious circle. Will see how we go tonight!

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Kasha » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:50 pm

Numner 1 daughter this time, any tips greatly appreciated!
Dor the last few weeks, since before teaghan was born actually, caoimhe has developed a fear of the dark. We tackled it originally by buying a small bedside lamp with a low wattage bulb so she could turn it om whenever she wanted to, and tbh it's ended up on all night.
I don't want her to have to sleep with a light on and we did talk about turning it off tho it hasn't happened yet!
I know it is peobably a phase and i'm hoping she'll grow out of it soon. But wondered how other people have tackled it?

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Steph Pet! » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:01 pm

Arch isn't scared of the dark but we have a gro night light in both the boys rooms....could that be an option cos it's dark but has a nice blue glow to the room so not too light iykwim?

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby Kasha » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:26 pm

She's always had a night light Steph. In fact she's got 2, she has the night lights that are also torches if you know what i mean, we bought her a thomas one and someone else got her the peppa one, they both have nice glows. I was wondering whether to take her in yeaghan's night light, which we're not not using. Its a panda that Caoimhe had that glows different colours.
She does seem to have a few bad dreams and sometimes ends up sleeping with me because of them. Doesn't mind the dark then of course, tho thats probably because shes with me.

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Steph Pet! » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Oh bless her......do the nightlights light the whole room or just a gentle glow?? This one lights the whole room..this is it http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gro-Light-Intel ... B00166B0SS

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby Kasha » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:54 pm

They just give a gentle glow. The lamp is low wattage and is gemtle too. That gro light looks interestign but we don't have a baypnet light fitting in Caoimhe's room, they are spot lights :( .

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Kasha » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:14 am

<doing (small) victory dance>
Don't know what's changed with Teaghan but last night she slept from 830 til 5! Last fed at 8 last night. It was 8 hrs the night before as well :shock:
Of course she is feeding 1-2 hrly in the day to make up for it lol and wont sleep in the day but 9hrs nearly at 8weeks old OMG!!!

Woop woop woop
(she'swideawake now tho lol)

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Kasha » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:58 am

I seem yo be dominating this thread lol
Any ideas how i can get teaghan to sleep for more that 20 minutes at a time in the day?
I know i can't have it all, she is currently sleeping through from 7ish til 6, not even waking for a feed (i know, brilliant for a bf baby!) Feeds 2hrly in the day (sometimes it will stretch to 3) and just wont sleep in the day. Tbh i'd be happy to get 45 min from her at a time! If we're out and about she will sleep in the car or in her pram. But at home, there's no chance! I've tried rocking her and putting her down asleep in the chair, pram or on the sofa. She always wakes up within 10 mins of putting her down. I don't need to rock her at night btw. I'm sure if i could let her sleep on me we'd have no problems! I'm just concerned that she's not getting enough sleep in the day. She really does cat nap, sometimes only for 10 mins. Anyone else's child do this?

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby shinycat » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:19 pm

I had great difficulty getting Lorna to sleep in the day for quite a while, other than, like Teaghan, when she was in the pram or car. She just hated being put down. For ages I used a sling, I can't remember how long. One of the things I think may have been a problem, in hindsight, was I was trying to get her to sleep downstairs and it was too noisy. I know they say babies should be able to sleep in a noisy environment and it is better not to tiptoe around them, but actually I do believe only some babies are able to sleep like this, the same as some adults are heavy sleepers and some aren't. But other than that the main factor was probably just that she liked being held and being put on her back in a moses basket or cot was not her idea of a nice place to sleep!
shinycat

Postby Steph Pet! » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Does she always fall asleep on you during the day Helen? If so then she is prob waking cos u're not there...Archie used to it and I had to try and persevere to get him to self settle in the day...I presume you've tried her in her cot/basket for naps?

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby Kasha » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:52 pm

Typically she is now flat out under her playgym lol has been for the last 25 mins so fingers crossed! This is her third sleep, the last 2 were 30 mins each about. (both in her pram)

Shiny i dont think noise really affects her, as she will go to sleep (in my arms!) in a noisy cafe! But i do try and keep noise down anyhow (well as much as you can with a toddler!) i have uused a slong in the early days but tbh she's not dead keen and it hurts my back (am really struggling with lower back pain atm) She is getting better at being put down thankfully as she is getting older, as long as she is awake! At night i never have to rock her to sleep (like i did with caoimhe) I feed her, wind and put her down, and the most i have to do is hold her hand usually. Can't believe how well she self settles tbh.

Steph she doesn't always fall asleep on ,e in the day, unless i've fed her really, tho most of the time she does. She has fallen asleep on her own in her chair and under her gym a few times, its just never for very long! And she will fall asleep on her own at night. I do wonder tho that the fact she feeds so often in the day and naps afterwards for a few mins is part of the reason she doesnt have longer sleeps?

I don't put her in her moses for naps, didn't with Caoimhe either tbh, mainly because Tim works nights 2 weeks out of 3 so it would disturb him. When Caoimhe was little, right up to her dropping her nap earlier this year actually, i would cuddle her til she dropped off and then put her down on the sofa (or her bean bag when she was little) and that was it for about an hour. It wasn't ever really a problem.

Well she's just woke up so that's another 30 mins. Maybe that's just how she is! She's woken up laughing at her sister so she's not nazzy. She does get 11 hrs at night so maybe not sleeping long in the day isnt such a problem?

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Kasha » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:58 pm

I should say that sometimes i've had 2 hours plus out of her when i've been out and about with the pram and tho she normally wakes up when i get home a couple of times she didn't tho i think maybe this coincided with growth spurts.

She is so different to Caoimhe i can't believe they have the same genes lol

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood