dealing with LOs with allergies

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Postby puppapups » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:36 pm

Epaderm as many times a day as we can manage which has really got the eczema under control. But I warn you, it never quite washes off and I end up with greasy hair! It is also like lard.

And Hydro cortisone as and when. I only apply this to the particularly red bits, behind knees, neck etc

Pups x
BFP 12th August. Conceived after lap and dye and ovarian drilling.
Baby Maggie born 20th April 2009
[/url]
puppapups

Postby Kasha » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:03 am

I've actually found that oilatum junior cream is a bit more effective for Caoimhe's eczema. Had tried e45 and epaderm before that. I put hydrocortisone on as well when it looks as if it's flared up.

She's got a particularly bad patch at the moment just behind her right knee. it all flared up last week when she was off colour but luckily it didn't take long to get it back to it's normal state.

Using infacare in her bath as well and it doesn't seem to irritate her skin. Her skin is lovely everywhere else - bit dry on her face but everywhere elase it's fine. Just her legs are terribly dry and that's where all her eczema is. Am hoping that it means it's just be childhood eczema and will clear up as she gets older.

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby k8 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:38 pm

Hi there, I'm wondering if any of you have had this experience?

Since the day after her 16wk jabs last week my dd has a greatly reduced appetite and cries if we offer any more than2/3oz at each feed (she's combination fed, and I'm planning on stopping bfing in the next 2 months). What makes me think it's an allergy or intolerance (even if it's just temporary) is that she's suddenly doing 10 poos a day with lots of white bits (sorry tmi!) and green mucus. M instinct is that it's not just a passing virus - it's ben a week now.

We have loads of allergies in the family, including coeliac, and dd has eczema on her head and arms. I'm worried this will turn into a full-blown casein intolerance, let alone cause her to lose weight. What do you think?? And how long d'you think I should leave it before asking for a referral to a GI consultant?

Thank you!
2008: Clomid + IUI 5 cycles: blurred vision! no more clomid! 2 cycles of GonalF + IUI
2009: IVF - BFP!! Beautiful baby girl!!

k8

Postby LozzaBird » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:41 am

Hi K8

Blake had green poo for a while at about the same age, the hospital did a test and it came back as a virus. But it continued and we figured out it was a milk allergy, I stopped breast feeding as he was failing to thrive and we put him on nutramagen (sp?).

Hope you get it sorted ;-)
Conceived naturally with DS
Conceived using pregnl injection and cyclogest with DD

LozzaBird

Postby GRACEY » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi K8

My little one had a similar reaction after the 3 month jab - within days he stopped feeding properly (I was exclusively breastfeeding at the time), just a little at a time, then crying in pain, he was pooing 6+ times a day and a week later he developed eczema which got worse and worse. Eventually, we managed to get the GP to refer us to the Allergy clinic and after many tests, it was confirmed at the age of 8 months that he had developed multiple allergies (the main ones being eggs and dairy). I continued to breast feed, but cut out eggs, dairy etc from my diet and his condition improved slightly. He was also prescribed Neocate LCP, which he took to really well, and still has now at the age of 18 months. Now that everything he is allergic to is cut out of his diet, his skin is so much better and he's growing well, but this time last year, he was so poorly, and it was hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I basically had a breakdown through it all. After his 3 month jab we were advised to avoid any more vaccinations until his condition notably improved. So at the age of 12 months, we took him back for the next jab. To this, he reacted severely and ended up in A&E with swollen face, lips, eyes, hives all over his body, severe discomfort - he needed a shot of adrenaline and constant watching for 24 hours.

This may sound a bit contentious, but from our personal experience, I think vaccinations have got a lot to answer for. Has anyone read 'The Truth About Vaccines'? It's definitely worth a read.

I hope your DD gets better soon. I'm not saying she's got anything along the lines of what my son has been through, but I just thought I should share my story.

Gracey
GRACEY

Postby LozzaBird » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:03 pm

My friend's son had a similar reaction to this jabs and they found out he was allergic to egg - which is what they put in the jab to suspend the drug!! Might be worth getting an allergy test done for your little one especially with a such a strong allergic reaction.
Conceived naturally with DS
Conceived using pregnl injection and cyclogest with DD

LozzaBird

Postby Steph Pet! » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:03 pm

K8 - What formula are you combo feeding with?

We're all good here....FINALLY we have some answers. Archie had his allergy testing done on Monday and yup....it's confirmed he's allergic to dairy. We've got an action plan now to take us up until he's 7 so we feel like it's a closed book now. At long last we can move forward and have had some advice!

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby cliveceltic » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:32 pm

Mucusy greeny poop with white bits in was this terrible bug we had, 1 week here but a friend's lo had it 3 weeks so it could be that. Out allergies/intolerancces had different reactions but not this sort of poop, more runny yellow. As for skin. We use hydromol in the bath and its really helped but her skin really improved once we went on the non dairy diet. The hydromol keeps it at bay as it does get dry but nothing like the exzema she had on dairy. She has a little patch in her wrist crease at the moment and i keep forgetting to treat it!! Oops. We did get the hydromol emolient dut it didn't help her skin, even seemed to make it worse. I use it now on my arms as i seem to have exzema from shouler to elbow, nowhere else! Steph, great newas about the tests and action plan. What age can they be tested for allergies? We were told to illiminate at the moment as tests weren't reliable at keira's age but at 1 we have to rechallenge and i'd rather she was tested properly as we rechallenged a few months ago and was a nightmare as she screamed for a week. What have they suggested for him to eat? We have been givin nutramigen 2 for bottles althouh since being poorly she was refusing so doc said to go back to stage 1, and then neocate for adding to food. We make custard and jelly successfully but all savoury meals - try and add it to she refuses and we have to sweeten her weetabix with fruit puree. Neocate seems really salty. Back at dietician soon hopefully. She wanted us to increase her milk from 15 up to 20oz per day but we have resulted in a massive decrease to 10 or less, even with the food!!
ImageImage

cliveceltic

Postby cazjones » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:16 pm

Hi ladies

Just after a bit of advice. My 14 week old started to develop eczema about 2 weeks ago, 2 days after her 12 weeks injections - not sure if that was connected or not. Took her to the docs and as it was so bad we have had to use hydocortisone and been told to use emollient at least 4 times a day. Are there any particular brands that you have had success with? Also wondering for those woth the dairy allergies in their little ones, was the eczema the only symptom that they had of this or were there others? I mentioned it to the GP but she just dismissed it completely. Thank you!

Cazx

cazjones

Postby GRACEY » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:59 am

Dear Caz

How is your baby now? My son's ezcema started at exactly the same stage, soon after his 3 month vaccination. We were told by the GP that it was just a coincidence, and not allergy or vaccination related. She just said it was infantile eczema and to keep using hydrocortisone and emollient (at the time she gave us Epiderm and Double base, neither of which worked). After months of perseverence we managed to finally get referred to the Allergy Clinic and lo and behold, he was confirmed highly allergic to eggs and dairy (so much allergic that he was reacting to it through my breast milk). If you are still having problems I would highly recommend hassling your GP into getting her referred to be allergy tested. As well as the eczema, my son had very bad stomach cramps as it was primarily a gut allergy. The eczema is often a reflection on problems going on inside the body.

I hope you get some answers soon. We find that Aveeno cream works well (available on prescription) and if you don't want to use too much hydrocortisone, Calendula cream is very soothing for very sore and cracked skin.

By the way, I know of so many cases of babies who have developed eczema after the 3 and 4 month vaccinations, and so many GPs dismiss it as a coincidence (probably so as not to have to add to the statistics).
GRACEY

Postby cliveceltic » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:24 pm

Its interestingb you got allergy tested as we've been told its not reliable at this age. I am going to persue it though nearer to 12 months before we start reintroduction of milk and soya - no point if allergic!!! The health visitora often have samples of emmolients and bath stuff for exzema, we used oilatum and hydromol testers and now the hv gives us a prescription for the big bottles.
ImageImage

cliveceltic

Postby GRACEY » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:44 am

Our DS was given the blood RAST tests at the age of 8 months, but not the skin prick tests, and they came back positive. He wasn't given the skin prick tests until after the age of 1 though so maybe these are the tests which are supposed to be less reliable when they are so small.

We had some good news last week. DS was taken into hospital for a 'Soya challenge' - the whole process took 6 hours. Involved giving small doses of soya milk to start with, and gradually building up to a whole cup. He loved the stuff. And fingers crossed he seems to have tolerated it well. We can now start giving him yoghurts, and milk - we're hoping this is a turning point in his allergies now he is 19 months.
GRACEY

Postby cazjones » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:09 pm

Hello

Thanks for replying. My LOs eczema didnt improve with 7 days worth of hydrocortisone so took her back to the doctors who gave us eumovate which cleared it up within a couple of days. However, she had her 16 weeks jabs yesterday and today has flared up again really badly so it must have somehthng to do with it! I wonder if its worth taking her back again, am not keen on using the eumovate for too long as I think its quite strong. I mentioned the flare up to the nurse and the HV who both dismissed the eczema as being related to the vaccines! Currently using the 3-in-1 hydromol.

cazx

cazjones

Postby cliveceltic » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:06 pm

Gracey, good news about the soya! Hope we can do some proper testing soon. Caz, i would keep on with hassling the gps about stuff. Alot of injections are egg based so could be an egg allergy. Keira's sking just flare up a bit today after her swine flu jab yesterday, but her face has been getting dryer and dryer for a few weeks. I never mremember to put emollient on that often, perhaps i should!
ImageImage

cliveceltic

Postby GRACEY » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:54 pm

Hi again Caz and Clive,

I agree about getting checked out for egg allergy as a lot of vaccines are egg-based. But equally, my son had a severe reaction (resulting in hospitalisation) to a vaccine which was specifically made up egg-free for him, so there was obviously something else in the vaccine that he was reacting to. The allergy team he is seeing still haven't found out what it is, so all vaccines are on hold for him for the time being.

I don't want to scare anyone as I understand the importance of vaccinations (and most children go through them without a hitch) but, because our personal experience was so horrific, I am very wary of putting my son through any more suffering. If you imagine what it's like for us as adults having a vaccine, it can make us feel pretty awful for a while, so I can't imagine what it does to little ones who's immune and digestive systems are still so undeveloped.

I don't think it's fair that so many GPs dismiss eczema reactions after jabs as it seem to be so common these days. Sorry but it makes me so angry.
GRACEY

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood