Postnatal Depression

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Postnatal Depression

Postby Dottywot » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:30 am

Hi!

I've been diagnosed with PND and have been on Prozac for a few weeks now! Just wondered if there was anyone else out there & would like a thread for support/chats?

Kirsty :)
Diagnosed - 2002
TTC for 5 years - BFP :) March 2008
Metformin - 23 October 2010
Dottywot
Local Group Leader

Postby mrsnutts » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:18 am

I had PND with my first child, and am currently being supported by community mental health in case of a recurrence with my new baby daughter.

How are you feeling with the prozac - are they helping? I had severe side effects with prozac so switched to nothing, then sertraline a few months later when I still felt too ill to cope.

The PND nurse that supported me last time told me 2 things the first time she came to see me: it's crap, and it does end eventually. She said it was her job to get me through it as painlessly as possible, and it took me 2 years to feel well again. Every mother is different, and a lot depends on what has happened during your life to shape you.

I hope you are getting lots of support from your family/friends and your health visitor - you need all the support you can get.

x
S
50 mg Clomid days 2-6, 1500mg Metformin per day for approx 1 year
mrsnutts

Postby Hols969 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:51 am

I was never offered councelling and have been on it since Noah was 1, he is now 3. Im on citrolpram, I tried prozac and it did nothing for me at all, so much so that I thought it was a placebo drug!!

What is it that made you feel it was PND?

I had a terrible fear of not being able to cope prior to having Noah as I didnt think I could have them and hadnt really been a coooing type of girl with other babies.

I had a c-section and the 2nd night in hospital the midwife was a horrible bitch (sorry but she was), Noah wouldnt stop crying and I just didnt know what to do and all she did was pick him up and walk out, so it confirmed that I couldnt cope!!

Struggled on for a year and the last straw was noahs christening and my m-in-law being a total pain in the bum and I literally threw a chair around the kitchen (poor noah happily eating his lunch!!) and have never felt such anger in my life, I almost saw blood in front of my eyes - weird it was.

So Ive been on it for 2 1/2 years now, did bump up to 2 tablets but now reduced back down to one and once our extension is finished Im thinking of reducing it further. I do feel better being on it but it did take about a month for it to get going so dont expect miracles.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Dottywot » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:06 am

I've not had an easy time of it since the birth, which was a bit traumatic. I was re-admitted after being at home for 2 days, and I was in hospital for another week. I then started to suffer from gallstones, and had to be admitted to hospital again (without Catriona being allowed to stay) when a stone got stuck in my bile duct & I turned yellow, then I was in again to get my gall bladder removed. also have feelings on not being a proper woman as I didnt get pregnant easily, couldn't birth my own baby, was so ill afterwards that I gave up breastfeeding, and I had to rely on other people to look after Catriona when I couldnt pick her up.

I have a fantastic GP & HV who are a great support. It all came to a head when I went for my smear test & took a panic attack as I couldn't face another person touching me down there! The practice nurse was lovely & got my GP & HV, and I decided that I needed extra help & was prescribed Prozac.

KPx
Diagnosed - 2002
Dottywot
Local Group Leader

Postby mrsnutts » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:25 am

The thought of having PND again scares the life out of me - I lost the first year of my son's life virtually completely - I can't remember him being little much, but some things are coming back now I have another little one to remind me, and it's not nice stuff. My community health nurse keeps reminding me that I can have ADs anytime, as though that's the magic cure, but I'm not that low. I've just been having a wobble this weekend.

I did a lot of research lats time, and fertility problems do contribute to PND - having been through so much to conceive, the guilt that not being happy with your baby just exacerbates the problem. Also women with demanding jobs - when you stop work for maternity leave, you have to leave a big chunk of your identity behind in the workplace, and find a new one - and 'mum' doesn't seem to fit with PND.

Holly - I had a similar experience in the hospital, but the midwife was trying to help me - Daisy wouldn't stop crying/feeding, and I was shattered. I was walking around the corridors and she told me that I had to have Daisy in the cot, and I told her that if I could get her in the cot without her screaming, I would be doing that! She then asked me if I wanted her to take Daisy for a walk away from me and the smell of milk, and so I could get some sleep. Daisy virtually deafened her (I learnt later), but she gave me 2 hours of much needed sleep, and a bit of trust in others. But I know exactly how your brain can take offers of help as judgments on your abilities.

This morning, Daisy was happily sleeping beside me, and DH woke her up to take her out to football with my son 'to give me a break', and I could then hear her screaming downstairs as he tried to get ready to go out. I hope they got on ok! I didn't need a break then, we would probably have had another 3/4 hours sleep together before she would have wanted feeding again.

Hope things look better later

x
S
mrsnutts

Postby Hols969 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:57 am

It is an odd time I think when you have a baby, you sometimes take so long to get to that point and then when baby arrives you are almost thrown in at the deep end just to get on with it.

Not surprised we all struggle a bit. I now feel NO shame in telling anyone I have PND and are on AD's as I know it is a chemical imbalance in my brain and the tablets just help me to feel a bit better.

Our bodies arent really designed for our lifestyle now anyway so not surprising they struggle too.

Glad things look better for you this time MrsNutts, if you are struggling and need to chat come on here (or PM me) as sometimes just getting it off your chest helps.

Not surprised you dont want any fiddling down below KP, not sure I would after a difficult birth. You sound quite normal to me.

xx
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby DawnyB » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:33 am

from the other thread...

cherry219 wrote:Hi ladies,

I know a few of you others are, like me, struggling with PND at the moment, and subsequently finding it hard to post at times.

I have days where I desperately want to pour out the feelings I'm having, but either don't have anyone to talk to or don't feel like I can actually talk to anyone I know.

Soooo, I thought it might be an idea to have a PND support thread here, where we can look after each other and try and learn to cope together.

If other people don't think it's a good idea, I'll delete it.

mrsnutts wrote:There was another thread started a few weeks ago - maybe we could combine the two? It was called 'postnatal depression'.

Any support we can all give each other must be good - and anywhere where we can be truthful about how we feel is a good place to recognise how horrible this illness is, and what help we can get.

I am lucky that with this baby, I've already got the support of midwives, health visitor and community mental health, as well as my husband, so if things do get worse I don't have to do much to get more help. Last time, it took a lot to get some support, and that made things feel blacker.

Hope your day's been more up than down, cherry

x
S

cherry219 wrote:Sorry mrsnutts I must have missed that thread! I've searched back through now but can't find it sorry.

My GP is very supportive when I'm there, but reluctant to prescribe antidepressants as I'm BF. I'm actually happy about that at the moment, as I've been on them before and had lots of problems.

It is hard to get support though, and feeling as reluctant as I do to go out means I'm less likely to actively seek help. I feel like someone should be monitoring me, ringing me up to make sure I'm still going, but it's all on me to make the appointments with my GP. I suppose that's what DH's are for, although mine has his own mental health problems so we're both as bad as each other.

I'm having a good day today though, we've been getting lots of giggles from Jacob and they are truly infectious, the best cure I could imagine ;)

Hope you're doing well too x
MrsB was time for a name change :)

Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity

ImageImage

Ranty mum diary - my blog
DawnyB
Verity Admin

Postby Dottywot » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:54 pm

Thanks so much MrsB!

I'm back at my GP on Monday & my works Occ Health GP is phoning me on Tuesday! with a view to me returning to work soon. It will be a staggered return & will be no more than 3 days a week for 6 months!

I've had a few iffy days recently, no where near as bad as before but not brilliant, I wrote another thread in off topic about a woman who made nasty comments to me, and that set me back abit, as did a friend making a throw away comment about needing friends who supported her, and i took it that she was making a dig at me! it all takes time doesnt it!

Kj xx
Diagnosed - 2002
Dottywot
Local Group Leader

Postby cherry219 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:52 pm

Thanks MrsB!

KJ I read your other thread about what that woman said to you - aren't people horrible?

I obsess over things like that, I just can't get them out of my head. When I was heavily pregnant I parked in Tesco and was about to get out of the car when there was a bang on the car's passenger side. I got out and went round and there was a woman trying to get her child into the car next to mine, and she'd banged her car door onto mine.

I said, quite nicely, "Can you be careful please, you've just hit my car?" and she whipped round and yelled "You just wait and see what it's like to have a toddler!" I obviously looked a bit surprised at her yelling as she then shouted "Ooooh look at the face on her! I didn't do it on purpose you stupid cow!" Her partner told her to leave it, but she carried on shouting similar things and then grabbed her car door and slammed it into the side of mine - denting it really badly.

I just stood there not knowing what to do while her husband bundled her into the car and they drove off. I abandonned my Tesco shop and drove home in floods of tears :(

That was months ago now and I can't get it out of my head (especially as I have the dent as a reminder!), I'm even more nervous than normal going to Tesco and I think all the time about what I should have said to her.

So I do feel for you KJ, people just don't think about how what they say or do could affect you.

That's good that you've got occ health on your side, and I'm sure staggering going back to work will help you lots.

Chin up xxxx
Jacob was born 10.3.09 - 8lb12oz.
Baby#2 due 09.11.12 - a little sister!

Blogging
cherry219

Postby mrsnutts » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:32 pm

I found that PND made me take a lot of things personally, especially what people say. When you're well, when someone says something you can take it literally, but when you're ill, you seem to find hidden meanings that support your (skewed) view of life and your role as a mother.

I saw the HV this morning, and she wanted to know what PND was like for me last time, so she can tell if I'm going through it again (or just to be nosy!). Explaining my history of child abuse, she told me I'd done a good job despite everything, with my son, and I could only do the same with my daughter. I know that last time I would have focussed on the 'despite everything', and felt there was a hidden meaning there of failure, but today I could sit there and take the complement.

A lot of counselling focusses on learning to count your blessings, and appreciate the good things. Talking through the high point of your day with your partner, no matter how trivial it sounds, helps store these important good times in your memory, so they can balance out the bad bits. I was in tears during the night because I couldn't get my daughter to settle, so I had another cry about it this afternoon when a song set me off, but I know that it was the tiredness making me feel overwhelmed.

And it's the weekend - time to recharge some batteries, and maybe the sun will shine!

x
S
mrsnutts

Postby Rach P » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:41 pm

Hey ladies. I don't have PND, but I have had a few episodes of depression in the past and whilst I don't know exactly what you are going I do know how difficult depression can be (and that's without the added pressures of being a Mommy!!!) so I just wanted to send you all big hugs and lots of love.

Good luck girls. xxx
Diagnosed 05
BFP 8/4/08 - Clomid #2 (100mg) - EDD 13/12/08
Alanis & Danté born in hospital at 38+5 on 4/12/08 weighing 6lb6oz & 6lb13oz
Natural BFP 3/9/11 - EDD 2/5/12
Eden born in water at home at 39+4 on 29/4/12 weighing 7lb6oz

http://thiswomansworkblog.blogspot.com/
Rach P

Postby Soooze » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:35 pm

Hi everyone!
Great idea for a sticky!
I am now on the long road to recovery. After 2 courses of CBT, a support group and 12 months of AD (Sertraline) I am finally feeling back to my old self! I am about to start weaning myself off the AD which is really scary, but my doc thinks I'm ready so I've gotta go for it! I haven't had many low points over the last few months which is brilliant compared to how it was before. I now want to be drug free for a few months to see how I cope before starting to think about no2. Again, this really scares me as although we really always wanted more than one child, last year we decided not to have any more because of the nightmare we had! However, we've warmed to the idea again more recently...so I want to make sure I feel on an even keel without drugs before we start the ttc rollercoaster!!
Anyway, I'll stop waffling - if anyone wants advice on the treatment options out there, just ask!!!!
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2d2e24
Diagnosed PCOS 2001. Natural BFP Jun 07. Daisy born 24.2.08.
Ttc #2 since Jan 10. Shock bfp 2/4/11.
Max James Robinson born 9th December 2011 8lb 10.5oz :D
ImageImage
Soooze

Postby Koo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:50 pm

Hi all,
I'm also on the road to recovery from PND. I was diagnosed when Alex was about 6 months and was on ADs (setraline) and had CBT too. My GP and hv were fantastic.
Even though I feel better now, I think this is a great idea for a sticky and will be on a lot I'm sure, as it's still a 'take each day as it comes' thing, and hopefully I might be able to support someone else too.
Koo x
m/c March 06
BFP 3rd cycle Clomid & acupuncture!
Koo

Postby mrsnutts » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:45 am

Does anyone take extra vitamins to help - vit B complex or D? I've still been taking pregnancy vitamins, as I was planning to breastfeed, but that didn't work out. I wondered as these have less vit A and D, whether I'm a bit low because of a shortage?

I'm going to buy a good multivitamin today, plus Vit B complex, as I used to take this to give me more energy, but wondered if there's any wonder vitamin or mineral I should add.

Thanks

S
mrsnutts

Postby Soooze » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:12 am

Hey!
I didn't try multivits tbh but tried hard to eat healthily coz I had a leaflet from MIND on what types of food can improve mental health. Only trouble was, I was eating healthy food & all the crap too so I ballooned in weight!!! Since xmas I haven't put any more on though and am now trying to lose a little (take each day as it comes is a good motto for that too!!!)
Koo - are you still on Sertraline or have you come off? What dose were you on (if you don't mind me asking?!)
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2d2e24
Diagnosed PCOS 2001. Natural BFP Jun 07. Daisy born 24.2.08.
Ttc #2 since Jan 10. Shock bfp 2/4/11.
Max James Robinson born 9th December 2011 8lb 10.5oz :D
ImageImage
Soooze

Next

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood