ADVICE NEEDED ABOUT GLUCOSE INTOLERANCE TEST

Why we all seem to carry it all around the waist...

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

ADVICE NEEDED ABOUT GLUCOSE INTOLERANCE TEST

Postby emma05 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:15 pm

hi all and happy new year!
I am going for a glucose intolerance test in 2 weeks time, and I have heard it can be horrible.

I just needing a bit of morale support and if anyone else has had it done, can you tell me what it was like and what happens.

MANY THANKS!
emma05

Postby mercedes » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:06 pm

Hiya

Theyre are two types of test they can do, the first is when you dont eat from about 10 at night, have a blood test then are free to go.

The second type I had to have when I was pregnant with my son.
Basically you have to not eat from about 10 at night, you then have a blood test taken, you will be a priority in the queue because you wont have eaten for so long. Then you are given a glucose drink, I will be honest with you it doesnt taste that great, then you are left for a while I think it was for an hour. During that time you can drink water so that kind of dilutes the taste.
Then they do a second blood test then you are free to go.
The only bad thing about it is the taste of the drink it can make you feel a little nauseus but take a good book or a magazine and a bottle of water and you will be fine.

I hope it does ok for you!!

Tish
mercedes

Postby RVB » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:36 pm

Emma

I am having a glucouse intolerance test on Wednesday.

I have to fast for 12 hours before the appointment (water being the only thing I can drink) then I think they take some blood when I get there, drink a lucozade type drink then have another blood test taken 2 hours later.

I think it is only an hours wait if you are pregnant and being tested for gestational diabetes otherwise it is a 2 hour wait.

Personally I am looking forward to the 2 hours piece and quite reading a book but I'm not sure that I am looking forward to the feeling at the end of those 2 hours having not eaten since 9pm the previous evening!

Hope it goes OK and the results are good!
RVB

Postby Jillian » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:29 pm

Hiya, just warning you when I went for my test they made me drink a warm lemon glucose drink (tasted bit like lemsip) as fast as possible, then sent me off to go shopping for a couple of hours as they wanted me to be active to see how my body coped with it. Also I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything between the two blood tests and it did make me feel sick :cry:.

Sorry to be doom and gloom but I'd rather have been prepared for it, I thought it was just a blood test!!!
Jillian xXx

Jillian

Postby RVB » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:07 pm

That's interesting because the nurse specifically told me to take a book with me because I would need to sit quietly between the 2 blood tests.

I hope they don't send me out and about - without any breakfast I don't want to go and faint - that would be embarassing!

I'll find out tomorrow.
RVB

Postby RVB » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:13 pm

Emma

I had my GTT last week and it wasn't too bad.

I had a blood test as soon as I got there then had to drink the glucouse drink - a white powder that they mixed with water - it actually tasted OK - reasonably sweet but not too sweet.

Then I sat in a nice quiet room with a book and read for 2 hours then had another blood test.

I did feel a little sick about 15 minutes after drinking the drink but it soon passed and I assume that was just my body trying to deal with the huge amount of sugar after being starved for 12 hours.

I thought I would feel really faint after the 2 hours but I was fine - needless to say I went back to work to absolute chaos so the time spent reading quickly became a distant memory!

Hope yours goes OK.
RVB

Postby emma05 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:01 pm

Hi RVB,

Yeah it went ok, although I was there for over 3hrs. They told me to just come back in 2 hrs, the second blood test really hurt (although I am a bit of a wimp), but it wasn't to bad at all.
emma05

Postby emma05 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:55 am

thanks everyone to your replies - Got my results either today or tomorrow, so fingers crossed
emma05

Postby Deb » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Hope you results went ok. I'm going for a hormone, thyroid and glucose intolerance tests tomorrow so good to read about your experience so i know what to expect. Bit worried as i tried eating breakfast late today and nearly passed out walking up the stairs :s . Hopefully they will get to the bottom of the problem.
Deb

Postby ladyblues » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:59 am

To be honest my glucose intolerence test wasnt to bad. I had to fast from 10 pm the night before then I went in at 9.30 am and had blood tests taken, I was then given a bottle of orange lucozade to drink before being sent away for 2 hours. Once I returned I had a further blood test and was then free to go home.
ladyblues

Postby caseymay » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:47 am

did any of you get your results?
caseymay

Postby RVB » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:47 pm

I did get my results and they were clear thankfully.
RVB

Return to Insulin Resistance and Diabetes