Embracing Facial hair and voice changes as genderqueer

Excess hair, hair loss, acne, skin tags etc... Discuss!

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Embracing Facial hair and voice changes as genderqueer

Postby ForeverQueer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:12 pm

I was diagnosed with PCOS aged around 17, and am now 36. My PCOS is basically untreated, and I don't have acne, although I do have a lot of body hair and I'm slightly overweight. I've never tried to get pregnant, although it would probably be difficult since I only menstruate a few times a year. I don't have much desire to have kids so I don't experience that as a problem.

I identify as a queer person and although I'm really hairy, I have learned to embrace the hair on my legs, feet, breasts, armpits and fingers. I don't shave these areas, and I feel great. I love my hair and so does my partner. However, I have spent a good few years plucking all and any facial hair. It's quite an effort, and a real waste of time. When I was younger, I had a bit of electrolysis, but it's painful and a bit pointless as all the hair returned, so since then, I've not bothered.

Recently, I started to identify as genderqueer (identifying as both male and female genders) to myself. This has helped me considerably, and when I was on holiday recently, I let my beard grow out. One thing I noticed was that it's very slow to grow and is quite uneven. As a genderqueer individual, I don't mind if people perceive me as male or female, and I don't really believe in the gender binary so I don't really have any qualms about being a "real" woman/man/whatever.

What I was wondering was whether anybody knows if it is possible to even out the beard growth. If I do nothing, will I eventually get the ability to grow a full and even beard, or will I always have a patchy chin? Is it possible to increase the testosterone from PCOS? I would love to have a beard for more of the time, but due to it being so taboo in the work place, I probably won't. I'd just basically like the option.

Also, I have a naturally low voice, maybe somewhere between an alto and tenor. Will my voice get any deeper? Is there anything I can do to encourage it to deepen?

I realise that most people experience PCOS as a burden, and want to lessen the symptoms, especially facial hair, and so seek remedies to decrease it, but I'm wondering whether it works the other way around. Are there herbs or drinks or food that I can eat that will increase my hairiness and help me to increase my gender ambiguity?

I've started to wonder whether PCOS is really a medical condition, rather than just another way that bodies refuse to be gender conforming. I haven't been able to find much literature on this, but if anybody knows anything, I've love to read that. I don't want to offend anyone here, and fully respect that most people are looking to minimise the hairiness that comes with PCOS. My decision to want to increase some of the symptoms is my own, and I don't judge anybody for their choices in this regard.
ForeverQueer

Re: Embracing Facial hair and voice changes as genderqueer

Postby Hols969 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:26 pm

Difficult question re the hair growth as most of us don't give it a chance to grow, I presume we would be like teenage boys so it would always be in between as we don't have enough testosterone to get a proper beard!

I think we are over obsessed with body hair I have to say but I'm 46 and more confident in myself and hubbie loves me if I am hairy or not - it's all down to confidence tho and most pcos ladies are lacking because of the side affects of it.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: Embracing Facial hair and voice changes as genderqueer

Postby MrsKT666 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:58 am

Maybe shaving would thicken it? Like it does when you start shaving your legs as a teenager?
MrsKT666

Return to Hair & Skin