Hair loss, please help!

Excess hair, hair loss, acne, skin tags etc... Discuss!

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Hair loss, please help!

Postby Josune » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 20, I found out due to my excessive facial hair. I started in the pill and I took it until I was 27. I wanted to see how my body would react and have children soon. I had no many symptoms, but my hair started thinning slowly.

I broke up with my ex and I moved to London. I started losing more hair, UTI, thrush and nail fungus. After hundreds of visits to doctors they couldn't find anything and I went to a nutritionist. She diagnosed me with Candida Overgrowth after urine and stool tests and I have been on diet (no sugars, yeast, low carb) and supplements from March until now. I am 33 years old.

I have lost half of my hair the last few months and I lost 5 kgs (I am a size 10). I went to see the doctor because of my hair loss and he made me some blood test, everything seems ok.
I went to Belgravia Centre and told me I have alopecia and to treat it with Minoxidil. I am not sure if all this is related to diet or I have alopecia and PCOS.

I am taking Saw Palmetto and hair and Nail Supplements as prescribed by the nutritionist. I would like your thought on this as I do not know what to do. I have tried coconut oil, tea tree shampoo and they make my hair fall more.

1) Should I stick to the diet? Or is it the diet causing me the hair loss?
2) Should I use Minoxidil? Do you have any experience on this?
3) Any other thoughts? What else can I do?

I am really down, no one really understands me. I am lost. I live in London so if anyone wants to have a chat with a coffee I am really happy to meet them.

Thanks a lot for reading
Josune

Re: Hair loss, please help!

Postby Hols969 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:51 pm

We have a really active London local group run by Krissy (if you use FB then search Verity London).

I actually think hair loss is the worst symptom as it's so difficult to hide. When I came off the pill my hair started to fall out so as soon as I had Noah I went back on it, it doesn't bring it back but stops more coming out. I know a few ladies that have had to resort to wigs as well so you aren't alone by any means xx
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby ZM » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:01 pm

I am using Spearmint 6x capsules a day, Nioxin products, Agnus Castus and more recently Spiro. All have been effective to increase hair re-growth and minimise shed. My hair is nearly as thick as it was when on Dianette (COC pill), just have to be patient now and let it grow down to the full length. TBH diet had absolutely no effect on me, I tried most advocated and found no difference at all. I do take Zinc and B6 for my skin and they do seem to work, they are possibly affecting my hair quality too.

Mine is diagnosed as Androgenic Allopecia and is progressive if unchecked. It will only respond to anti-androgenic treatments. I am hoping that there will be a new treatment soon which will control Prostaglandin d2, this has been strongly implicated in both male and female pattern baldness. Research has been aimed at producing blockers and they are under development as far a I can ascertain.
Self diagnosed: 1999
Formally diagnosed after much pressure!: 2005
Current regime: Massive amounts of weight bearing exercise, and controlled diet. Have taken/tried Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Marvelon, Accutane. Now on Spearmint, Agnus Castus and low dose Spirinolactone.
ZM

Postby Hairygurl » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:46 pm

Iv tried all the medications potions and pills going, I now have a hair integration system as just had to accept mine wasnt going to grow back.. not to how it was before anyway :( and now with the stress of having my tubes removed and ivf im growing more facial hair and still loosing head hair :(
Hairygurl

Postby Ladybird » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:17 pm

My husband sometimes wash his hair with eggs blended with the lemon juice. He takes 1 egg and half of a lemon. He says his hair becomes stronger and healthier after that. Maybe that would help in your situation...
Ladybird

Return to Hair & Skin