Spearmint as an alternative to traditional antiandrogens

Excess hair, hair loss, acne, skin tags etc... Discuss!

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Spearmint as an alternative to traditional antiandrogens

Postby ZM » Mon May 11, 2015 10:40 pm

In July of this year I had severe Gastro problems and had to come off Dianette as I was not absorbing it and everything went haywire. After clearing up the lactose intolerance and food allergies I was told by a locum GP that they would not consider putting me on a combined pill again as I was 36 and that "I should stop being vain" and instead focus on having children. (Don't get me started on that one - still fuming!!!). Anyhow as you would expect I lost 3/4 of my hair (it was literally everywhere) leaving barely anything and the acne which has plagued me since I was 11 started to come back. My GP suggested letting it settle for a while before trying any new meds given the allergies that were under investigation.

About four months into this in sheer desperation I started to look into any natural remedies that may help. I stumbled across the research with Spearmint and also a lot of discussion on transgender websites in America talking about it's feminising effects. So I though it would be worth a go. At the recommended dose there was no real effect, but in the studies the doses were higher, so I ignored the bottle and started to take 4x the dose. My scalp dried up immediately, the hair stopped falling out within a few days and over the next few months lots of new growth appeared and my skin calmed down to non-cystic very occasional spots. Although I am lucky and do not suffer from excessive body hair I also noticed after a few months of taking it that my arm hair has significantly reduced and become much finer. From my experience there have been no side effects at all (unlike Dianette), my cycles are now regular and adding in Agnus Castus which never worked for me previously increased the effect further.

Now my allergies are under control I have started Spirinolactone. I halved the spearmint thinking I should wean off it as it was now being replaced... Within 2days my hair started to fall out again. From my experience high dose spearmint is very effective if you stick to it religiously. With just the initial 50mg Spirinolactone and the spearmint my skin is now completely clear.

I am surprised that I have not really come across Spearmint treatment in the past and was wondering if anyone else has had similar success or if I am just luckily really sensitive to it? Seems odd to find a miracle in such a basic herb, but would recommend anyone to try it if they have not already, especially in combination with the Agnus castus.
Self diagnosed: 1999
Formally diagnosed after much pressure!: 2005
Current regime: Massive amounts of weight bearing exercise, and controlled diet. Have taken/tried Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Marvelon, Accutane. Now on Spearmint, Agnus Castus and low dose Spirinolactone.
ZM

Re: Spearmint as an alternative to traditional antiandrogens

Postby ZM » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:34 pm

Just to update the Spearmint is still working (probably now aided by the Spiro 100mg I am taking to control my acne). My hair that initially regrew is now at the nape of my neck in length and I still have new areas growing down. Also just starting to get nearly fringe length hair at the sides of my forehead where it had receeded. My hair generally is growing fast with very little indeed ever in the bath or hairbrush. Really happy with it, no side effects at all, so continuing. :D
Self diagnosed: 1999
Formally diagnosed after much pressure!: 2005
Current regime: Massive amounts of weight bearing exercise, and controlled diet. Have taken/tried Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Marvelon, Accutane. Now on Spearmint, Agnus Castus and low dose Spirinolactone.
ZM

Return to Hair & Skin