PCOS?

Excess hair, hair loss, acne, skin tags etc... Discuss!

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

PCOS?

Postby Naomi23 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:40 am

I'm hoping some of you girls might be able to offer me some help. I am currently awaiting a scan of ovaries to confirm PCOS, which seems odd as I've read that you can still have the syndrome without presence of the follicles.

I've always had some excess hair since puberty. My underarm hair grew in quite early, at the age of about 9/10 and I remember being embarrassed as none of my friends had any yet. My underarm and pubic hair has always been thick and dark, plus lots of it, it almost seems as though I have two or three hairs growing from each follicle. In addition to this I had some around my nipple and a few on my stomach. To cut a long story short the hair growth is now worsening and seems to have accelerated this past year, I am 22. I have black hairs all over my breast, not just the nipple, and my snail trail is growing daily. The white fine hairs that all women have are starting to get more noticeable and turning darker, I am beginning to notice this on my face. In addition to this i have acne on my chin that will not clear up- I have tried zinyert, dianette and now duac. I was on dianette for 3 months and noticed no improvement so stopped taking it as my mood was very low- I don't cope well with bcp and have tried about 7 since the age of 18- I'm wondering if all this turmoil could have been a trigger for my problems now, but the doctors say it is more likely It is becoming worse as I have now been off the pill for four years and being on bcp was keeping the hair growth and acne at bay. Since stopping dianette things have worsened, oily skin, hair loss etc.

Other than that I have normal periods and I am not overweight. Does this sound like pcos?

I am really down and anxious as I had clear skin as a teenage and having to cope with acne as a 22 year old is damaging my confidence and self esteem at work and with friends. I am terrified that the hair growth will continue to excel and worsen, it is not yet on my face, just the white hairs, but I feel like a ticking time bomb and any day now I will spot some black hairs.

Will antibiotics work for acne caused my too many androgens? I have all the symptoms of androgen excess but bloods are always ''normal'. Dr has suggested I try Yazmin (i was on this before at age 18 and had glowing skin but I stopped it because of depression), but I am reluctant to put another bcp in my system...although I am willing to try anything now.

Thanks.

Naomi xxx
Naomi23

Re: PCOS?

Postby Hols969 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:50 am

Yes could well be, as you are off the bcp things can get steadily worse unfortunately. You can have regular periods but not ovulate and as you say you can have PCO so no cysts. Have you had blood tests done?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Naomi23 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:20 am

Hi Hols,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have had blood tests done yes, all are apparently within the normal range. So I'm wondering if I have normal periods and the scan shows there are no cysts, do I still get a diagnosis of pcos because of hirsutism and acne? I suppose the treatment will be the same anyway?
Naomi23

Postby Hols969 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:43 am

Unfortunately that is down to your GP, you can be diagnosed by symptoms alone but not all GP's do, I would list your symptoms to your GP if it does come back with no cysts (they can come and go as well which not a lot of GP's realise, so you may not have any this time but loads in a year). I noticed at your age the hair and I am now 45 and the hair got much much worse over the 20 years ....
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Naomi23 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:48 am

Have you been able to control the hair growth with anything? I want to try and start some medication before it gets worse and worse...
Naomi23

Postby Hols969 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:06 pm

I had laser on my facial hair about 6 years ago and it has pretty much resolved it now.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Buttons » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi Naomi23.

My story sounds like yours, what was your diagnosis in the end?
Buttons

Postby purpleskingdom » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:38 pm

Hi Naomi,

I had to stop Dianette and Yasmin because of depression too.

Best non-medical option I ever tried was 25+min exercise 5-6 days per week (I found fitness DVDs and YouTube most convenient) plus a semi-strict reduced carb, NO processed sugar diet with regular meals and reasonable portions.

I'm about to start some herbal supplements that are meant to help (Saw palmetto and milk thistle plus a few others) but always research thoroughly before trying any supplements - Natural does NOT mean Safe! Beware of side-effects, allergies and drug interactions. I'll post back with reviews at some point.

I find Neutrogena's "Blackhead Eliminating cleansing lotion" and Avon's "Clearskin Professional daily correcting lotion" to work best for acne (and I have tried almost everything else - over the counter AND prescription). Anything that is 2% salicylic acid usually works well.

IPL hair reduction is great but Very painful and some hair may return over time if hormonal imbalance is a continuing problem. Definitely worth trying. Tips: look for deals on sites like Groupon etc (I got 6 small-area sessions for £120 around 4 years ago), have it done over the winter so sunburn is less of an issue (plus you can feel more confident by the time the warmer weather has you baring some skin), take painkillers 20min before treatment (check with your Dr first), avoid treatments around the time of your period whenever possible (you may find you are more sensitive to pain at this time - I know I was! Ouch!) and get some Aloe Vera gel beforehand for aftercare - the area WILL be red for a couple days afterwards.

Good luck, you're not alone.

Demelza, 27yrs
(diagnosed at 16)
purpleskingdom

Postby Buttons » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi Naomi,

Did you get any answers in the end?
Buttons

Postby phoenix15 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:23 am

Hi hols969,

Can I ask what laser treatment you had and where was it. I'm about to try laser treatments again as the hospital has now given up on me after I've tried all treatments. My hair is very severe and continuing to spread but I don't know which laser to try or where to go. Any advice would be much appreciated
phoenix15

Return to Hair & Skin