very sore bikini line and back of legs after shaving.

Excess hair, hair loss, acne, skin tags etc... Discuss!

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

very sore bikini line and back of legs after shaving.

Postby Gemjo » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi Everyone,

Like most people here I am a very hairy lady, and when it comes to shaving my legs I not only HAVE to shave below the knee but also above the knee, right up to the top of my thighs. The problem I have is about 24 hours after shaving; my Bikini Line and the back of my thighs (just under my bum cheeks) become very very sore and rash like. I always shave in or after a bath/shower and I always use shaving cream/gel. When I get out the shower I always apply moisturising lotion to the shaven areas. When I can feel them becoming sore I apply antiseptic cream but it only helps for a maximum of 20 mins.

I am at my wits end as I don't know what else to do to ease or stop the soreness. I am so uncomfortable I feel like crying.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

P.S. I have used depilatory creams and suffered an allergic reaction. I have also tried waxing and and epilation but I'm too much of a wimp.
life is full of endless, relentless, grinding dissapointments!!!
Gemjo

Re: very sore bikini line and back of legs after shaving.

Postby DoctorWho » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:20 am

I'm afraid I don't have any really good advice, Gemjo, only that I get this too! It's very odd, because it's really a soreness, not cuts from shaving or anything like that. The thing that helps the most (although it's not perfect) is to use razors only once so they are very sharp (you can then reuse them for less sensitive areas--I use these on my lower legs, underarms, etc) and to not press down too hard. I also try not to immediately sit down/lie down on the shaved areas, as they're more likely to get sore this way; I've also found that dabbing them with witch hazel and diluted tea tree oil helps.

But in terms of a more permanent solution, have you looked into medication or laser/electrolysis?

Good luck! I feel for you! Let me know if anything helps. :)
DoctorWho

Postby airry87 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:29 am

that is called razor burn. It means that you have sensitive skin ( i do also) so you need to buy products specifically for sensitive skin. Look for items that say "sensitive skin" or contain aloe. They sell razors and shaving cream that contail aloe. also, make sure you put lotion on regularly, the moisture keeps the bumps from happening.
airry87

Postby Gemjo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:11 am

Thanks for your replies ladies.

airry87: I only ever use products for sensitive skin. I moisturise twice a day. I've even used antiseptic creams but nothing works. I'm at that point now I have stopped shaving and because I'm so hairy I cant wear skirts, shorts or dresses. I have no idea what I'm going to do next year when I get Married and go on Honeymoon.
life is full of endless, relentless, grinding dissapointments!!!
Gemjo

Postby onlyme83 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:14 am

I'm exactly the same and it's the regrowth. Friends with "normal" body hair can't believe how my legs are prickly after a few hours of a close shave!
My solution is i get upper legs waxed. Still get some spots as it grows back and prickling but nothing like as bad. I don't bother having lower legs waxed because it starts growing back within days anyway. And shaving there doesn't cause any regrowth discomfort. Just think the skin on thighs is far more sensitive and if you're like me the hair is a bit coarse.
Try getting upper legs waxed and don't cry Hon xxx
onlyme83

Postby LondonStudent » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:31 pm

Hey I get this too!
Sounds like it could be ingrown hair? That is what I get pretty badly and the red dots come up around a day after shaving. I have not found a proper solution but there are things I have tried that help a lot! Firstly, I dont shave often, I let the hair grow out to reduce the soreness from using a razor. Secondly, I use Bio Oil as soon as the red bumps appear it seems to sooth them and reduce the redness. Aloe vera gel can also help. Try to put it on before bed and don't wear any underwear when you sleep! Lets the skin breathe. Thirdly I use Nads Ingrow solution. It is a light exfoliator and it prevents the little hairs from getting trapped under the skin which causes the soreness.
If it isn't ingrown hair and just a rash, the bio oil should help loads anyway.
Try it and let me know if it helps! X
LondonStudent

Return to Hair & Skin