Managing facial hair?

Excess hair, hair loss, acne, skin tags etc... Discuss!

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Managing facial hair?

Postby hope07 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:55 am

Hi All-
Just wondered how everyone manages facial hair?
I have been bleaching and plucking but the hair seems to be getting thicker :( I'm also getting more hair down the side of my face and on my jaw line.
Not sure what to try? Tia x
7 -1st Trimester M/C's- TTC since Oct 05

Mummy to two beautiful children
1 DS- IVF
1 DD- Natural BFP
hope07

Re: Managing facial hair?

Postby Hols969 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:47 pm

If you cant afford laser or ipl, then I would get a epilator (it is painful to begin with but you do get used to it). The Braun Wet and Dry one is suitable for the face, so you could do it in the shower which makes it less painful, BUT Ive had two of these now and wont buy another as the battery on them is rubbish (so make sure you keep the receipt as it is supposed to last 2 years), Ive also used the Phillips version and always been very impressed with it but it is more painful. They may do a wet and dry variety now. You could try waxing or threading, creams are rubbish I found.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby wrigglepup » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:47 pm

I've been plucking mine for years! It's became a bit of a habit I've been doing so long! I use Tweezerman tweezers, they are a bit expensive but can get hairs that have just started to grow. I do it while watching tv each night.
wrigglepup

Postby Hols969 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:09 pm

Tweezers I use as well, expensive but best of the lot.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby HookyHannah » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:44 pm

I have very pale skin with dark hair so the hair I had on my neck and chin used to be really obvious as a teenager and in my early twenties even after I shaved. There was too much to pluck. I was finding it hard to get work after uni so my mum gave me some money for lasercare. I had six treatments but I kept waiting too long in between as I found it painful (others have told me they haven't) and I had to travel each time. I found it eradicated the hair on my neck but not so much on my chin and 'sideburns'. Apparently you are supposed to go back every year to top it up but I can't bring myself to pay it even though I could. My chin hair isn't noticeable after shaving and I put concealer on.

I have just paid for a new cream called vaniqua at the doctor - you apply it twice a day, then shave or do whatever as you normally would and it decreases hair. I will report back on this as I am sceptical!

I've found St Ives exfoliating facial scrub helps remove dead skin cells to aid hair removal.
I use to use hair removal cream but couldn't bear the smell. It does last a few days though.

Some women I've spoken to get waxed but I can only just bear this on my legs!

Aculight treatments are not great - expensive and don't work as well as laser.

Wearing your hair in a different way or wearing a scarf used to help me a lot.

Hope this helps someone somewhere. Xx
HookyHannah

Postby Hols969 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:12 pm

Vaniqa does work but can take time so persevere with it, it isnt often prescribed by GP's as its like £100 a tube and its a small tube!! Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby purpleskingdom » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:01 am

Hi all,

I'm 27 now, was diagnosed with PCOS around age 16. I have managed my facial hair (in order):

Tweezers: cheap and easy if you only have a few stray whiskers but I abandoned this once I started edging towards a full beard!

Sugar wax with cloth strips: bought "Nads" brand from QVC as a teenager. It helps to do large areas quickly but needs the hair to be grown out long enough or it won't work (embarrassing at any age but especially during teenage years!) Also messy and requires adequate amounts of clean, dry cloth strips.

Epilator: I think I bought a Philips brand corded one (cordless gadgets can be a real nuisance due to the batteries eventually failing - corded versions always seems a better investment) less messy than sugar waxing and hair doesn't need to be as long/obvious before using this method. Although, these gadgets are rather noisy and painful (especially around the upper lip/nostril opening area - I keep tissue nearby in case of eye-watering and sneezing) as the pain is prolonged - I learned to take painkillers 30min beforehand as it makes for a less horrible experience.

IPL laser hair removal/reduction: As it is too expensive for me to have IPL full price, I found a good deal on Groupon (6 sessions for £120) at 'My Body Boutique' at Sussex Medical Chambers in Hove 4 or 5 years ago. The customer service was great but I have to say it was much more painful than I expected. Having heard the experience described as 'like having an elastic band snapped on your face' I was shocked to find it was VERY PAINFUL! And the horrid smell of burnt hair! And the days of redness afterwards! But I kept going back because - I DON'T WANT TO BE A BEARDED LADY! It HURT, but it was worth it - take paracetamol 20 to 30min beforehand! It didn't get rid of all the hair (perhaps if I could've afforded ten sessions rather than 6) but it greatly reduced the beard down to some whiskers : ) nowadays laser clinics are more affordable and accessible so I'd definitely say it's worth a go if you find a good deal - get it done during winter (to reduce chances of sunburn) and get some Aloe Vera gel for aftercare.

Shaving: I usually shaved between sugar waxing/epilating to give the hairs a week to catch up (as some hairs always appear before others due to different growing times) and, since having the IPL treatment, this is my favourite method for facial hair removal. I'm hoping to try electrolysis soon so removing the hair root from the follicle is not an option for the moment.

Next... I'm going to try electrolysis. I've found that beauty schools are the best places to get salon treatments on a budget - most charging just a few pounds per half hour of electrolysis! I had a full leg wax at Sussex Down's College in Lewes for only £10 and a really lovely haircut for less than that - beauty school salons are a great option for economical pampering!

What helped me most was taking the contraceptive pill for most of the last 7 years (Dianette/co-cyprindiol acetate and Yasmin/Lucette). However, I'm taking a break from the pill as it was making my depression symptoms worse - I don't want to scare anyone off of trying the pill as we all react to medication differently - it's worth a try.

Bye for now x
purpleskingdom

Return to Hair & Skin