GROUP LEICESTER

Where discussion about local groups is conducted

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Postby Hols969 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:26 am

hello ladies, can anyone persuade their OH to help with the research below??

PCOS may be a female disorder but its effects aren't just felt by women - it can have a significant impact on their male partners too. Men may not suffer directly with the menstrual abnormalities, the acne, the unwanted hair, the ongoing weight battles or the thinning scalp hair but they often have to weather the storm of their partner's fluctuating hormones, they may have to ride the emotional rollercoaster of trying and failing to conceive, and they may struggle to come to terms with their absolute powerlessness to fix the problems arising from PCOS. However, the truth is that we just don't know what men's experiences are as no research has ever been done into how men are affected by, or cope with, their partners' PCOS. This study seeks to plug that gap in our knowledge. We want to conduct face-to-face conversational-type interviews with male partners of women diagnosed with PCOS to try to discover how men perceive the impact of PCOS on their lives. It is up to the person being interviewed to decide how much they are comfortable disclosing – it’s a chat rather than an interrogation. The interviews can take place at home or in any public place that is convenient provided it is not too noisy as the interviews will be digitally recorded and then transcribed into print to enable them to be analysed. During transcription, all data will be made completely anonymous so participants can speak freely without worrying about being identified.

If you have a male partner who would be interested in participating in this study, please contact (or ask them to contact) Christianne Tipping on c.tipping@lancaster.ac.uk or on telephone number 01335 300222 as soon as possible to receive more information. Due to time constraints, preference will be given to potential participants based in Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Cheshire and Shropshire or in Nottingham, Leicester and Birmingham.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: GROUP LEICESTER

Postby Dizzidee77 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:45 pm

Hi All!

I'm looking to restart the Leicester Local Group. The meetings will be every other month, starting from June. If you would like to get involved, at the next or future meetings, let me know. Once I get a better idea of when people are available and where they will be travelling from, I'll organise a suitable venue (probably a coffee shop, or similar) and let you all know.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Dianne
Dizzidee77

Postby Dizzidee77 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:20 am

The first meeting of the new Leicester Local Group will be at 7pm on Monday 25th June. We will be meeting at the Hobby Horse pub (near Thurmaston).

All welcome. Let me know if you want to get involved with this or future meetings and if other times/days/places would be better for you.

I hope to see you there!

Dianne
Dizzidee77

Dates for your Diary

Postby Dizzidee77 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:02 pm

Just to let you know, I've booked in few dates for future Local Group meetings:

** Thursday30th August, 6.30pm at Starbucks (Highcross Shopping Centre)

** Thursday 25th October (details TBC)

** Wednesday 12th December (details TBC)

It would be good to see you all there!
Dizzidee77

Postby Dizzidee77 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:48 pm

Just to confirm, the next Leicester Local Group meeting will be on Thursday 25th October, 6.30pm at Starbucks (Highcross Shopping Centre).

Also, in the run-up to PCOS awareness week I will be dropping of the GP resource packs to surgeries throughout Leicestershire. If you have any suggestions for which surgeries to include, please let me know.
Dizzidee77

Postby Dizzidee77 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Hi All!

Just a reminder of the next meeting, this Thursday (February 28th) at Starbucks in the Highcross Shopping Centre. I'll Take my purple verity folder along and leave it on the table so that I'm easy to recognise.

Hope to see you there.

Dianne
Dizzidee77

Postby Hols969 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:58 pm

Would any one be interested in taking up the reins from Dianne, who is moving away from Leicester, as the local group leader for Leicester? If you do, please pm me.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby tatie » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Anyone local enough to Coventry and interested in participating in a research trial that addresses the underlying metabolic issues behind PCOS? Please PM me - they are desperately short of volunteers and the study seems very worthwhile to me.

Fingers crossed I can generate some interest.

Kate
tatie

Postby CharlotteArtist » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:07 pm

Hi ladies, just to let you know we're starting a new group in Nottingham on August 14th 2014 6:30 pm - 9pm, I know it's a little bit of a trek but we'd welcome anyone from Leicester with open arms (and free tea and coffee) and it's only £1 to park on a parking meter in Nottingham after 6pm for the whole night on a weeknight.

You can join us on https://www.facebook.com/PCOSGoddess for more info!

Hope to see a few Leicester ladies there! xx Charlotte
CharlotteArtist

Postby aach » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi there,

I am new to this site, although I have had PCOS since as long as I can remember! (The joys of it, eh?)

Anyway, I saw this, and it looks like its been a while since there has been any sort of group, but it would be amazing to meet up with someone who is having similar issues. I would be happy to organise something. Please reply :)
aach

Postby Lily00 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi there!
I'm in the Leicestershire area, I was diagnosed with PCOS 4 years ago but had known since early teens that things weren't as they should. PCOS has been a real journey in my life and to this day I'm still trying to understand and live with the condition. Im looking to join a support group in my area.
Lily00

Previous

Return to Verity Local Groups