My story...

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

My story...

Postby Coz » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:47 pm

I'm 21 and was diagnosed with PCOS just before the New Year. Reading some of the stories on here, I think I've had it pretty easy.

I've had a problem with facial hair for years; I've just always put it down to one of those things and never really thought that much about it. Then, probably about a year ago, it started to get worse and I got more self conscious about it. I never went the doctor though, even when I saw an episode of 'ten year younger', where a woman had facial hair which was linked to a 'hormonal condition'.

I finished uni and started a new job in the summer, I took full advantage of the company gym and lost about a stone. At the same time my periods started to get really irregular.

I finally went to the doctors at the beginning of October to complain about the facial hair. And considering I had internet access and a free hour, when he asked if I had any other symptoms, I told him about my periods.

He referred me to radiology and dermatology departments, PCOS was briefly mentioned but I think he knew that I already knew something about it. I had an ultrasound in the middle of December and I got my results just before the New Year, they pretty much confirmed what I'd thought.

The doctor told me there was no real rush but he'd refer me to see a gynaecologist, I've got my appointment at the end of March, I'm pretty nervous about, I'm not really sure what to expect

I also went to the dermatologist, who was nice enough but couldn't really tell me anything which isn't surprising considering it wasn't her speciality. She did send for blood tests which no one else had thought to do, I haven't had the results for those either.

It's been really helpful to hear other stories, I was told about Verity by someone at work who is a member. Joining has been the best thing I ever did!

The problem is that every one (especially doctors) keep saying 'wait and see what the gynaecologist says' but I'm not sure how much and what to expect from them.

I never meant to go on for this long, but once you get me going…
I am not disorganised, I have anti-systematic methodology disorder.
Coz

Postby Coz » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:33 am

Talking about my blood test results, I got home yesterday and found that the results had been posted out from the dermatologist. Apparently my testoterone level is normal but I probably (love the use of the word probably there) have more in my blood that acts on hair follicles to cause the hair growth. It also said that my thyroid gland may be working a 'bit' harder than normal to maintain it's normal output.

She recomended having it checked again in three months by my GP. It doesn't really explain anything about what that means, if it's related to PCOS or anything.

I was wondering if anyone else has been told something similar and if anyone has any more information about this.
I am not disorganised, I have anti-systematic methodology disorder.
Coz

Return to Verity Cafe