Bleeding too much - any help appreciated

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Bleeding too much - any help appreciated

Postby gw31 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:15 pm

Hi All :)

Had PCOS since I was 13, I'm now 31. Have had to educate myself over the years on how to manage most of my PCOS symptoms and have got most of them more or less under control.

Problem is, had to come off dianette 3yrs ago as we're trying to conceive and since then periods were every 27-35 days with occassional spotting in between but nothing major. Although I was getting regular periods, blood tests (on days 5 & 21 of my cycle) to measure progesterone levels showed several times I was definitely not ovulating (no surprise there then!). Wasn't too bothered about this as at least I was having some kind of period and my GP said I may very occassionally ovulate without medical intervention as I've successfully managed my weight etc. However over the last 6months now my cycle has shortened to every 15-19 days and since the onset of my last period (9 days ago) I have bled continously, not heavily, but a constant dark brownish flow.

I'm just really worried why my cycles have become so short as I try to keep a pretty healthy lifestyle. Saw my GP last week and she wants to do more tests as she's a little concerned I may be going through the perimenopause - help! Has anyone else suffered the same symptoms (no hot flushes but terrible palpitations and sweating a lot more, also more mood swings). Hubby and I are desperate for kids too, does this mean we're 'past it'? I'm only 31 and really despondent.

Don't have any pain with the bleeding and a recent transvaginal ultrasound showed the cysts had become 'very bulky' and the Gyn could only see one of my ovaries! Just panicking, hope someone can offer some reassurance, thanks. :)
gw31

Postby Karen » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:25 pm

I get spotting too, but once my gp and consultant had both reassured themselves that there wasn't a sinister cause behind it, they both smiled sympatheticly and shrugged their sholders. It seems that it's just something that i'm going to have to put up with. I hate it, but mine doesn't sound the same as yours. I guess what i'm saying is, bleeding in between periods doesn't mean there's something wrong. It sounds like your doctor is just trying to be sensible by suggesting tests.
You're not "past it" for kids. It seems that the way pco women get pregnant is very individual and just because someone else hasn't managed to get pregnant doesn't mean you won't.
After the tests, your gyn will probably ask a lot of questions and might suggest some medical help to get things moving. I know it's hard but try and be positive. I'll be thinking of you.

Karen
Karen
Local Group Leader

Postby Jaki » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:13 pm

Hi,
homeopathy can really help regulate cycles. You would need to see a homeopath rather than self medicate, and have a detailed consultation, but it's worth a try.
Jaki

Postby gw31 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:27 pm

Hi Karen, Hi Jaki :)

Thanks both for your replies. Feel a bit more reassured now Karen, as you said I'll probably feel relieved after the test results are through to see exactly what's going on (still bleeding tho, day 11 now!). Jaki, may look into this homeopathy idea, anything's worth a try a guess and I'm a great believer in alternative meds so thanks for your reply.

Take care and thanks. :)
gw31

Return to Verity Cafe