new girl

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

new girl

Postby krupali86 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:18 pm

I'm 19 and I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15, it all started when my cousin thought I had it because of certain symptoms showing up like bad period pains, irregular periods, excess facial and body hair, acne, and suggested I go to my GP, who then sent me for a blood test which came back saying I had a hormone imbalance, after that i was getting chinese herbal treament which made my period regular, reduce the pains slightly and improved my skin alot, i was also keeping record of my temperature which showed that i was not ovulating much.

I have NEVER been sent for a scan and have the following symptoms:
-irregular periods
-irregular ovulation
-hormone imbalance
-excess facial and body hair
-acne
-fluctuating weight, difficulty losing weight around lower stomach
-mood swings
-decreased breast size
-dizziness, severe headaches and blackouts

I have now stopped with the herbal treatment and was wondering what treatment or medication any of you were taking, I know my PCOS is not as bad as others but I hope you could give me some ideas
krupali86

Postby Karen » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:11 pm

Why did you stop the herbal treatment? Excuse me if i'm being nosey, but i'm wondering if it was because you can't take it long term?
If you've always had these symptoms and you already have a confirmed diagnosis, you should have already been refered. If i were you, i'd go back to the doctor and kick up a real fuss. You should have been seen by an endrincologist (spelling?) and you can request a scan from him.
I take cod liver oil and starflower oil and a general multivitamin. I had been perscribed metformin but found that made me feel sick.
Some ladies i've read on hear are taking Angus Castus. Anyone know how that works?

Karen
Karen
Local Group Leader

Postby krupali86 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:18 pm

No, you can take the herbal medication long term and the clinic I was with were very succesful in helping women with infertlity problems, I stopped because it was quite expensive and being 19 and a student it got a bit much!!

I've got a blood test in a few weeks and my GP said that from the results of that she'll send me for a scan and put me on any meds if need be, so we'll see how it goes from there...

...and no you're not being nosey!!
krupali86

Postby katy » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:31 am

Hi krupali86,

In amongst yuor symptoms you say you get severe headaches!! At last someone like me...

I was diagnosed 1 & half years ago, and just before was diagnosed I started to get real bad dizzy spells (for nearly a year actually) I came of the pill incase it was this, but still kept getting it, anyway that all eventually stopped. But the last few months have been a nightmare for me with very bad headaches, unable to move as the pain was so bad! feeling sick etc! (doc said it wasnt migarines, only once it may have been as was sick woith the pain)

GP done loads of tests to see if was brain tumour etc (wasnt!), blood tests etc & couldnt find anything and actually said they would have to look at my emotional state!!! :x and put me on artheritis tablets to see if would help (stop swelling in the head or something) - as all other pain killers had stopped (well solpadine, ibuprofen, asprin etc).

So they thought it was all in my head (!? very angry at this) so swapped docs and she has put me on Beta blockers - I have been taking them for 4 weeks and after 2 weeks, the headaches started to be much better - yipee!! So I think they worked, I still do get them, but nowhere near as bad- and solpadine still doesnt work - She gave me some migraine tablets for if it was really bad - I've took one once & it knocked me out for a few hours :wink: (very dopey feeling) and it got rid of the headache!

So just to let you know after all my ramblings - I got very bad headaches to, thought I was the only one!
xxx
katy

Postby krupali86 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:48 am

I know exactly what your going through babe!! I feel your pain too!!

I get them quite bad it gets to the piont where I actually black out, can't see and feel like I'm going to faint or throw up, I've had them for years and used to have loads of time off school when I was younger because of it, but the doctors never know what it is, recently I was given migrain meds for it which have been alright, they come as a duo, you take one for the bad pain, then if I feel sick later on I take the other one, I can't remember what they're called at the mo, i think its migralaze or something like that...
krupali86

Postby kat » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:26 pm

Hi there,

i guess the medication they might try depends on what you want and what symptoms you want to treat.
For example some peoples main aim is to conceive - so the medication is to help ovulation. (i am currently on a course of clomid for this)
For those who don't, having a regular "bleed" can also be important to protect the lining of the womb - so the pill (which can also help with acne and facial hair) or a progesterone tablet can be given.
Again if there is a diabetes link then meformin can be tried to assist with weight loss - but it also has some quite nasty side effects.
then there are other creams etc. for body hair.
You are fortunate that you have caught this at a young age. i was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago at 29 years!
Hope this helps and good luck :lol:
Kat

ttc since Jan 04
diagnosed with pcos May 05
First round of clomid:BFP but m/c at 10 weeks
10 rounds clomid: nothing
IVF scan Oct 06 ovulating: sent home for baby dancing
Gorgeous little boy born 07/07/07
kat

Postby Karen » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:36 am

Hi ladies,
thanks for that. I think i'll just stick to what i'm on at the moment. I seem to react to different things, and if truth be told, i'm a bit scared about trying something i'm not sure of.
Hope things work out for you.

Karen
Karen
Local Group Leader

Return to Verity Cafe