Just diagnosed today and feeling a bit lost!

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Just diagnosed today and feeling a bit lost!

Postby Louisette » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:57 pm

Hi,
My name is Louise and I am currently living in Dubai, UAE. I have just been diagnosed today with PCOS and immdediately went to do some research and found this site which seems to be one of the better ones.

I had been on the pill for about 6 years until last October and since coming off, things aahve been far from normal and as my hsunad and I are trying to conceive, decided to go and see my gynae. Ultrasound and blood tests later and I have the diagnosis and am a bit overhwlemed at it all.

My gynae has been very positive and has explained it all and the long term issues. She has put me on Metformin to try and help me start to lose the extra weight to in turn try and start managing the condition naturally which she hopes I can do as the symptome are not too sever and the normone balance not too sever either although significant. Even though we are trying to conceive, as I am only hitting thirty next week, she is not at this stage giving me anything to promote oviualtion but I have to go back again in 3 months to see how things are going. It all seems very daunting.

I guess the pill had masked things and I aahve always been prone to the weight gain but it has been worse in recent years and then when I came off the pill, spots galore, increased hair loss although nothing drastic, hair on my top lip etc.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but am hoping that this site and the forums will help me get clued up on this and how best to move forward.

Look forward to hearing from some of you more experienced in this than me!!

Thanks
Louise
Louisette

Postby evie » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:40 pm

Hi hun,

don't panic! The best advice I can give is for you to do what you're doing- find out all about it and talk to people with it!
Collette Harris's books are fab.. the G.I diet is meant to be fabulous. (perhaps ask your partner to read them ttoo- to gain understanding and help him support you?) I can't say I've used the GI diet myself but was overweight at 13/14/15. I was already vegetarioan but started excersising lots and ate really healthily (brown not white bread, less pasta, lot sof veg etc) and the weight came off :)
My problem was always moods, hair and spots.. If your skins greasy just find a routine that settles that down - I find avene range really good, and if hair bothers you look into lasers/ electrolosys (always look for people belongong to proffessional bodies- not sure who that'd be where yopu live). most of all don't let it ruin your life- all you can do is manage it but soon it should settle into the background.. just arm yourself with as much info as poss...knowledge is power (the pro's/ dr's dont always know whats best for YOU and this syndrome).
take care hun,

evie :)
evie

Return to Verity Cafe