Page 1 of 1

How to get a referral to an endocrinologist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:29 pm
by Den1se
Hi - so my daughter was diagnosed aged 16 - she is almost 19 now. When diagnosed the only guidance was go on the pill - lose weight and come back if you want to have children. So how shocked were we when her hair stared falling out to discover it was linked to pcos- we had no idea. It was only then we discovered the links to insulin, the lack of. Vitamin Absorption etc. So in January I paid for her to see an endo. She wrote to our gp asking for her to be referred under the NHS. The gp lost this letter 4 times!!! And is now questioning her referral and has said the NHS probably won't fund it. I am at my wits end - she has not had any bloods done since diagnosis, she has all symptoms of insulin resistance, she has not bled since coming off the pill in January, she is losing hair and has excessive hair everywhere else. Is there anything I can do to get her some help

Re: How to get a referral to an endocrinologist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:02 pm
by Hols969
Look at the NICE guidelines as it says what to expect. I thought you could be referred to anyone but maybe that is not the case. I think the NHS is so strapped for cash they will try and get out of anything!!

Did she have issues on the pill - she must have 4 periods a year to keep her uterus health. The combined pill will help the pcos symptoms. I have been on and off it for 30 years and generally I am pcos free most of the time, weight is manageable, I am still not insulin resistant either (I am 48) so for me the small risk of being on the pill is worth it as it controls all the other cr*p that comes with pcos!!