New, Desperate and looking for some advice

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

New, Desperate and looking for some advice

Postby KJames » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:52 pm

Hi everyone. I would really appreciate some reassurance and advice.

From 13 - 18 I had regular periods.
When I was 19 I developed excess hair and skipped periods for 9 months. I was diagnosed with PCOS but never took medication.
Between age 20 and 25 I have had every other period and have been quite content with that.

On 22nd May 2016 I began my period and am still on now, 7 weeks later. I've probably had 15 days scattered throughout this time where I have stopped bleeding.

I visited my doctor and got Norethisterone. As I got home my period stopped for a week so I didn't bother taking them.
My period started again and I visited the doctor who tested me for Anemia, which I do not have, and hormones which were all fine apart from testosterone. I also had a smear that revealed BV and a Yeast infection. Which I assume is from excessive bleeding. I was given antibiotics, Metronidazole which I have heard can increase feelings of unreality, and as I suffer with depersonalization disorder already I'm petrified of taking them.

After a few days of not bleeding, I'm back on my period again VERY HEAVY. I can't see a doctor until Monday so saw the nurse and told her my concerns. She said that the bleeding is down to PCOS and she wasn't able to advise me and I would have to wait until Monday. I really don't know if I can last 3 days. I'm bleeding heavily and in severe pain.

Any and all advice needed.
KJames

Re: New, Desperate and looking for some advice

Postby Hols969 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:06 pm

Go to a&e if it continues - has life been more stressful lately or put on weight recently- these can aggrevate pcos symptoms- what is your diet like as diet is key to controlling it especially if you aren't keen on taking medication
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby KJames » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:18 pm

Thank you for your response. I had a mental breakdown June 2015 and since then I have eaten a poor diet, taken no exercise, put on 2 stone. I have such bad health anxiety it's crippling and I am imagining all sorts of life threatening things that could happen to me between now and Monday morning. When I went to the nurse today she just looked at me blankly. I'm petrified of medication but am desperate for the bleeding to stop. I have no idea which medication is best.

Thank you again

Kim x
KJames

Postby Hols969 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:49 pm

You won't die from amount of blood from a period as it is a small amount just looks a lot. Are you having any sort of therapy to help, I suffer from anxiety, not to your degree and am antidepressants which help hugely with anxiety. Anxiety is crippling but you must try and take some control back, small steps and there will be things that you can do to help you cope.

What sort of support do you have at home ?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Verity Cafe