New and struggling to find answers

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

New and struggling to find answers

Postby Jess330 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi

Hope you all okay, I know most of you have been struggling with pcos a lot longer than me and I wish you all the best. I would love it if you could help me with some questions I'm struggling to find answers to.

Abit about me, when I was in my teens and started my period they was never consistent I would have them every 3 to 4 months and sometimes the one off that would be together a month apart. It was like this for a few years when I reached 16 I got with my boyfriend and started having sex so my boyfriend asked me to go on birth control pill. I went on the pill and had periods every month but put a stone on in weight every year. Half way through my third year I didn't like how the pill effected my body and decided to come off it. This was August 2014 I had my last period September 2014 and now it's over a year later and still no period, I went to see a GP this summer that ran some blood tests and said all was normal apart from one but it wasn't far out and it was nothing to worry about. I didn't think anything of it at the time. He put me on some over the conter tablets that im struggling to remember the name of but nothing happened. So after 3 months I decided to see a different GP and she sent me off straight away to get my ovaries scanned and confirmed what she was thinking that I have pcos. She then referred me to a gynaecologist who put me straight on metformin and advised me to lose weight.

I've been taking 500mg once a day for 3 weeks now, I've been trying to find out if you can experience symptoms of metformin on such a low dose?

Does tha tablets still work if you having sickness and diarrhea?

Also the gynaecologist didn't go into many details about pcos I think I now the gist of it but there's some many different things on the Internet

As for losing weight I have lost 5 pounds since coming off BC and a further 4 pounds since starting metformin. But I have tried a lot of diets and I have maintained since losing just it seems to be a very slow process.
Jess330

Re: New and struggling to find answers

Postby Hols969 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:53 am

There are differing opinions as to if metformin helps pcos ladies especially if you are not insulin resistant which not all of us are. Did you have a glucose fasting test to see if you are, or do you have diabetes in your family history. The side effects you are having with metformin are extremely common and often it is the weight loss caused by the upset tum that helps with the weight loss and then can help in reducing the pcos symptoms.

There is a slow release version as well which is more expensive which is why they dont tend to mention it.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: New and struggling to find answers

Postby scouse82 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:53 pm

My doc put me on the dose of metformin after diagnosis as I was gaining weight rapidly on a strict diet.

I lasted about 4 months before I couldn't bear the side effects anymore and I'd only lost 4 pound in the 4 months so I came off them. I was eating a low fat, low carb diet and they just didn't work. Yet I've seen others lose a lot of weight using them.

Like Hols says above they just don't work for everyone. Up'ing the amount of exercise you do could help. It helped me.
scouse82

Return to Verity Cafe