Diagnosed and still trying to find my path

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Diagnosed and still trying to find my path

Postby Owl82 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:54 am

Hi,
I have just recently joined this site

Recently been diagnosed with PCOS. I have had symptoms of the excessive hair growth, weight gain and not able to shift it easily and the adult acne for a while. But no actual cysts on the ovaries so they couldn't actually say it was PCOS.

3 years down the line after more gynaecology issues I had an internal scan and they have now found cysts on the ovaries.

I always thought that my mood swings were just a part of my cycle but some how over the last few months they seem to be more regular. After reading about other stories and the advice from this site I am beginning to understand that is due to the PCOS and will be. In all honesty a little scared as I can be flooding the room with the tears one minute & then ready to rip someone's head off the next.

The weight issue is being looked in to. I had an appointment with a gynaecologist this week and I'm sad to say that he wasn't much help. All he kept going on about was my weight and that I needed to lose weight to help with the symptoms. I mentioned about Metformin and he wasn't impressed as he said its been treated as a 'Wonder Drug'.....how rude! I had to leave as felt like I was spinning in there and not getting anywhere fast. My own GP I saw after and she was lovely. I have to say how can the GP be more sympathetic than the gynaecologist as he should know what happens with PCOS? :roll:

Sorry for my ranting but I felt alone till I read in here other stories and then realised that I wasn't.

Hopefully will learn how to cope with this as I'm still learning as I go along xxxxx
Owl82

Re: Diagnosed and still trying to find my path

Postby Hols969 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:25 am

Gynae's often don't know much about pcos tbh so you need to see an endocrinologist as pcos is their area. In some ways the gynae is right in that people seem to think metformin is a wonder drug and it isn't, it is a diabetes drug and not licences for pcos in the UK. It does help a small number of pcos ladies who are insulin resistant but it does get dished out too readily and the worry is the long term issues of being on it when you don't need it.

We do need to eat less than the rda as we would still put on 2lb a month if we ate the rda! I really like the 5:2 diet as it's cheap and once you get your head around it it is really quite easy!

Cysts are only a symptom and not the cause so you should really have been diagnosed earlier!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: Diagnosed and still trying to find my path

Postby Owl82 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Thanks for the reply hols969 ..... never knew about the rda on the eating side, that's something for me to remember for sure

:) xx
Owl82

Return to Verity Cafe