Anyone have a clue?!

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Anyone have a clue?!

Postby Ninja Turtle » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:20 pm

Bear with me as this may be a long one, also I'm not sure if this is in the right place!

I know irregular cycles can be part and parcel of PCOS, and mine have varied from between 26 and 41 days. The longer cycles (40 and 41) have had spotting half way through.

This cycle I am on cycle day 59, no spotting in between and no signs of it arriving! Pregnancy tests galore, four light positives and around twenty more negative ones after those. The first four were bought together, just cheap hpt sticks. I had an internal scan last month, which showed cysts on one ovary and a new corpus luteum on the other, which the consultant said showed very recent ovulation on that side.

Saw the nurse yesterday, and as soon as I mentioned PCOS she said that I should wait another month or so and see if it arrives! She then said she could prescribe the contraceptive pill to see if it did anything.

She spoke to the doctor and rang me back and I went back today for blood tests. They did testosterone, LH and follicule stimulating hormone tests, as well as a fasting glucose test.

So I'm assuming they are focusing on the PCOS, but seeing as I know I ovulated since the last period, surely that shouldn't have stopped my period from arriving?

Anyone shed any light or advice as I'm so unsure on all of it, and don't know what to think! Sorry if this doesn't make any sense!!
Ninja Turtle

Re: Anyone have a clue?!

Postby Hols969 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:12 am

The joy of PCOS .... we do tend to ovulate later than the norm - the advice tends to be anything over 2 days over your normal cycle tends to mean you are not ovulating. We can also ovulate without a period as well. Are you actually trying to TTC, if so you dont want to go on the contraceptive pill so you could ask for provera to start a bleed. Dont focus solely on your period though. Most ladies use the fertilityfriends website as it advises how to take your temperature to see if you ovulate and this is the most accurate way for pcos ladies. Yes all the blood tests you had done are focusing on the different areas of pcos really.

You can be referred after 6 months if you are TTC as it is a known fertility issue, saying that though it is extremely rare not to conceive just because of pcos, some take no time, others more, others a bit of intervention and others, like me, a bit further help but generally we all get there one way or another. Also have your partners sperm checked as 1/3 of fertility issues are now men which makes it more difficult (my hubbie had lots of dead and deformed sperm and was borderline for us doing IUI, but after taking the Boots Vit C and zinc tablets it increased by over 100% and was then above average).

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Verity Cafe