Blood test result "consistent with PCOS"

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Blood test result "consistent with PCOS"

Postby Sapphire6 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:34 pm

Hi

I'm 30 years old and I've been told by my GP I could have PCOS. My mum has it too but she says she doesn't take medication for it. I'm currently waiting on an ultrasound date.

The diagnosis doesn't feel real at all. A previous fertility test done was normal before and although my latest ones are in range my GP says I could have PCOS.

I am also hypothyroid (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Chronic Lymphocytic Thyroiditis) but this was diagnosed 2 years before the possible PCOS. I am on T4/T3 therapy and my thyroid test in September was suppressed. I am also iron deficient and Vitamin D deficient but although I'm on iron my ferritin isn't going up very much.

Symptoms I have:

Spots on face and body
Oily skin
Hot flashes in legs
Light periods - they used to be heavy and they still occur every 27 or 28 days
Painful periods
Fatigue
Lumps in lower left abdomen - GP aware of this
Pain in lower left abdomen - where the lumps are. This has only just started to happen
Hair growing on my face, legs, front of body - this hair is darker compared to other hair I have

I am not overweight however, in fact my endocrinologist has written I'm "incredibly slim". I weigh 49.5kg/7st8 and my body mass index is 19.7. (Healthy range: 18.5-25) I have always been slim even though I eat a lot for my size!

I do not have diabetes because a random glucose test was done as was the HbA1c and were both in range although diabetes runs in the family.

If anyone could point me in the right direction as to why my GP says I could have PCOS I would be very grateful. Thank you. :)

14 Jan 2014 (day of cycle/therapy: 0)

Testosterone - 0.7nmol/L (0.2-1.7) normal no action
Prolactin - 251mU/L (0-700) normal no action
LH - 1.4IU/L (Follicular phase: 3.2-8.0, luteal phase: 2.4-7.2) normal no action
FSH - 2.5IU/L (Follicular and luteal phase: 1-9) normal no action

27 Jan 2015 (day of cycle/therapy: 3)

LH - 5.8IU/L (Follicular phase: 2.4-12.6, luteal phase: 1.0-11.4) normal no action
FSH - 7.2IU/L (Follicular phase: 3.5-12.5, luteal phase: 1.7-7.7) normal no action

15 Sep 2015 (day of cycle/therapy: 0)

LH - 6.6IU/L (Follicular phase: 2.4-12.6, luteal phase: 1.0-11.4, mid cycle: 14.0-95.6) results consistent with, although not diagnostic of, PCOS
FSH - 4.6IU/L (Follicular phase: 3.5-12.5, luteal phase: 1.7-7.7, mid cycle: 4.7-21.5) results consistent with, although not diagnostic of, PCOS
Testosterone - 1.2nmol/L (0.3-1.7) results consistent with, although not diagnostic of, PCOS
Sapphire6

Re: Blood test result "consistent with PCOS"

Postby Hols969 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:00 am

If your mum has it then there is a high chance that you do as well, you have the symptoms of pcos as well. Blood tests can often come back normal and even a scan may show no cysts (they are only a symptom and not the cause so the name is a bit misleading). I do not have diabetes or insulin resistance and not all will have it. We have a higher risk of it but it is tied in hugely by weight as well, so the larger you are the more likely you are to get more symptoms and an increased risk of diabetes and heart disease.

I personally would class you as having pcos. At least your mum having means you are aware of it.

Let us know how things go
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: Blood test result "consistent with PCOS"

Postby Sapphire6 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:35 am

Hols969 wrote:If your mum has it then there is a high chance that you do as well, you have the symptoms of pcos as well. Blood tests can often come back normal and even a scan may show no cysts (they are only a symptom and not the cause so the name is a bit misleading). I do not have diabetes or insulin resistance and not all will have it. We have a higher risk of it but it is tied in hugely by weight as well, so the larger you are the more likely you are to get more symptoms and an increased risk of diabetes and heart disease.

I personally would class you as having pcos. At least your mum having means you are aware of it.

Let us know how things go

Thank you Hols969. I think I've got a bit of a wait for the letter with the ultrasound date but once I know more I'll let you know.
Sapphire6

Return to Verity Cafe