New here

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

New here

Postby Ninja Turtle » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:57 am

Hello all. Long story so bare with me!
Around Christmas 2014/January 2015 I was in and out of hospital with abdominal pain. I have another condition that they would always put this down o and never looked for anything else. I had an abdominal ultrasound done in February and they found nothing.
In May, I again ended up in hospital, where they took my appendix out. During the laparoscopy they noticed my left ovary was enlarged and they told me it was endometriosis. They referred me to another doctor.
Saw him in June and he did an internal scan which showed multiple cysts, but he said it was certainly not endometriosis. He told me to come back in three months to see if it had resolved its self. The right ovary looked fine.
I went back to see him last week and had a repeat scan. He said he left ovary is very polycystic but the right is still ok. He asked if I had irregular periods, acne and facial hair growth, which I do.
He said he will write to my doctor to prescribe an oral contraceptive which should help but he doesn't have any need to see me again. He couldn't confirm it as PCOS as its only on the one side, but said it was "most likely".
So now I am still unsure if I have a diagnosis or not and where to go from here!
Ninja Turtle

Re: New here

Postby wrigglepup » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:22 pm

Hiya,
that's annoying, hopefully the doctor will shed some light. Anyway why does both ovaries need to be effected as its a hormonal condition. I am not qualified but I do know everything isn't always black and white. I wasn't diagnosed till my late 30's so mine had loads of time to be polycystic! Hope you get some answers soon then you can start dealing with it.x
wrigglepup

Re: New here

Postby Hols969 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:55 pm

It can be one side though or both or can be neither side, they are only a symptom of pcos and not the cause (they are thinking about changing the name currently as very misleading as not really ovary related). The symptoms you have got are pcos so I would say you have pcos, the cysts can come and go anyway so next time they may be gone. A combined contraceptive is a good way to go (I love yasmin which is what I am on) and cut out all white carbs and as much sugar as possible to try and control it. I would ask to be referred to an endocrinologist,to be honest you tend to have to control the symptoms yourself by diet and combined contraceptive pill and the less 'fat' you are the less the symptoms can be (but thin pcos can have lots of symptoms too) as there is actually very little then can do unless you are trying for a family (there is lots of help when it comes to that stage so dont worry too much about that).
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Verity Cafe