PCOS Depression Overload

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

PCOS Depression Overload

Postby jessiegirl90 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:50 am

Hello Everyone!

I am currently from the United States, so I'm sorry if slang, spelling, grammar is off. I have for a long time been craving someone to talk to about PCOS, it has been a dark never ending spiral of loneliness and hope I can share my story and finally find people like me who I can speak to about this journey. I am one of the PCOS people who have weight issues, I have been overweight most of my life. I was a perfectly active and happy child till I started to near puberty and my weight gain spiraled out of control. I developed earlier than most girls around me, and always on the larger side. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 20, but I feel I have had it for a long time. I have been bullied, beaten down emotionally and felt entirely helpless and alone on my journey. My voice is not extremely feminine, I have been told I sound like a "gay man" when people are trying to be cruel, and have even been mistaken as a "gay man" when someone would hear my voice through a closed door or over the phone. I know this is not an actual symptom of PCOS but I feel if my hormonal development has been as off for as long as I believe it has been it may be a contributing factor. My menstrual cycle had completely stopped by the time I was out of high school and away to college. I have hirsutism, with hair growing on my face, chest, and back. I have acne that never seems to go away, I am obese and no matter how I diet or exercise it just never goes away and lately have been having more than normal hair loss on my head, I am also only 25. All of these things have contributed to a very deep and serious depression and helplessness. My doctors have been no help, they tell me I need to lose weight and toss birth control at me no longer acknowledging any other form of help and all the research I've done has seem to be empty ended. I apologize if it seems as if I am whining, I have been so alone in my struggle that to even right this out has helped lift even a small rock off my shoulders. Because of this I have no self esteem, I can barely stand to look at myself in the mirror, I have to shave every day like a man and it takes every once of my will not to break down and cry while I do so. My social life has seriously lacked because of my self esteem issues. I guess I'm just looking for help, support, some kindred spirit out their to help shed some light into this never ending darkness I am in. Suggestions from your own experiences with controlling these symptoms, what helped you with weight loss, things I can take to my doctor (however scared I am to go back) since they seem to not want to bother with helping me. I appreciate all help, Thank You
jessiegirl90

Re: PCOS Depression Overload

Postby Hols969 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:23 am

I think most of us have had issues with low self esteem that is for sure. I had laser on my beard and that helped hugely but was expensive but so worth it. As for weight, the only way I can keep mine reasonably under control is with a combined contraceptive (I like Yasmin). Diet wise you need to find something that suits you and your lifestyle- obviously low gi and cut out all white carbs (I no longer have carbs at night), I quite like the 5:2 diet as it's cheap and once you get your head around it is quite easy to do.

People are often horrible, if only people were nicer !!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: PCOS Depression Overload

Postby misswoowar » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:46 pm

Hello,

I am really sorry to hear what you are going through. I am just in the process of big diagnosed and I have had a real fight with the Doctor. I am finally seeing a gynecologist next month and I am really nervous about it because of how much I have had to fight so far. I can't do any of the fad diets so I have just generally cut down, by doing it this way I haven't put any pressure on myself and that's what usually makes me fail. So far I have lost 25 lb but that's taken me 10 months. I think the trick is to do it slowly, don't starve yourself just cut some bits back. Like I have stopped drinking fizzy drinks and instead drink water with some lemon juice and herbal teas. I have also started taking herbal supplements. I found two that are supposed to help lower testosterone, NAC N-Acetyl-cysteine and saw palmetto. I also take evening primrose oil, I swear by this to help mood swings, agnus cast us, iron and vitamin D. I have three month long periods so need the iron. Camomile tea also helps my moods which I suffer with quite badly. The other thing is get fresh air, go for small walks to start with, put some music on and block everyone out while you go for your walk. The exercise will help you feel better (even if its a short walk) but if you are worried about people making comments then just do the music thing. Failing that go on you tube and type in simple aerobics and some videos will come up, I use it for some ballet type toning exercises and tao chi.
Kirsten xx
misswoowar

Return to Verity Cafe