currently being diagnosed with pcos

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

currently being diagnosed with pcos

Postby taralouise18 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi, my name is Tara, I'm 20 years old and I'm in the process of being diagnosed with pcos so thought I could share my story and see if anyone has any advice.

I was put on Yasmin, the combined pill aged 13 to help with severe acne, I was having regular periods and my skin cleared up a treat. In June 2014 my doctor took me off this pill and changed me to Zelleta, the mini pill. Due to my BMI being 35, putting me at a higher risk of blood clots. In the first two months of starting Zelleta my acne came back really bad, my hair was thinning and in one year I gained about 40lbs.

I tried really hard to lose weight without any luck so i decided to stop taking the pill on the 19th June and I have successfully lost 20lbs (with a lot of hard work and determination) however my acne has gotten worse, my skin has become extremely oily and I've also noticed excess hair in all the wrong places. My period has not returned, I had around three days of brown spotting at the beginning of July and two days spotting in the middle of August.

I have been feeling really depressed and I feel absolutely disgusting in my body, I was speaking to a friend about all these symptoms and she thinks I may have pcos as her sister has it. I went to the doctor last week to discuss these symptoms and explained that I think I may have pcos.

My doctor basically said that if I am not TTC then there's nothing they can really do about it. She checked my blood test from September last year which showed my testosterone levels slightly high but my FSH levels were not checked. She said if I want to know if I have it to book in for blood test during day 1 - 5 of a period.

I feel like my doctor didn't take me seriously and I have no idea when I will have a period so I don't know when I will have a blood test to determine if I do have pcos or not. I have done a bit of research and realized that there is a lot of things that can be done to help. I've also realized that I have Acnothosis Nigricans which is another symptom of pcos.

Any advice, tips, support would be much appreciated. Thanks :)
taralouise18

Re: currently being diagnosed with pcos

Postby Hols969 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:15 am

Is your bmi low enough to go back on Yasmin - I've been on and off it for 15 years and it's the only thing that keeps my symptoms under control- when I came off it I put on 3 stone !!!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby taralouise18 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:16 pm

My BMI is 38 at the moment, I need to lose at least 20lbs before i can go back on Yasmin. Which seems so far away! :(
taralouise18

Postby Hols969 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:02 pm

Try the 5:2 diet - once you get your head around it it is actually really easy, cheap and works. It has changed totally how I feel about hunger now so I dont tend to need or want to eat something when the tummy rumbles.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Verity Cafe