Frustrated, Upset, why did no one listen?

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Frustrated, Upset, why did no one listen?

Postby Aemxo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:56 pm

Hello Everyone :)

I am 21 years old and right now I am an emotional wrecking ball. I think its best I start from the beginning

I have always been overweight my whole life. From birth until now, I have always tried diet after diet and nothing worked. at 16 years old, my mother begged me to go on the contraceptive implant ( I am from a rough area and she was scared about attacks etc) so I did.
My periods stopped all together almost straight away, I didnt like it straight away. For the whole 6 years I have used the implant and I have gone to GP, sexual health nurses with my fear of no periods and they have told me its normal and I am so lucky, even when I said my body didnt feel right. Knowing I was overweight it panicked me.
In July this year, I was rushed to hospital with severe abdominal pain which had turned out to be a Urinary Tract Infection that had got to my kidneys, They wanted to scan me for appendicitus, during the scan the woman explained about my 'very bulky' right ovary and I burst into tears of frustration, I knew something was wrong and no one had listened. She could not see my left ovary and described my uterus as tubular. She even went as far to say she is 97% sure I have PCOS.
This had me distraught, I want children and I am terrified that I may now not be able to not naturally anyway. My boyfriend has stuck right by my side and been fantastic even though I havent been the easiest person to deal with. I know this might seem like an over reaction but I'm sorry i needed to get these feelings out. I have had the implant out and now have to wait until September 11th for blood tests on my hormones, I have had the implant out since the 29th July and no period as of yet. I guess I just need some reassurance o0f what to expect with results, what happens next? likelihood of pregnancy? i AM SORRY TO BOTHER YOU ALL.

A xo
Aemxo

Re: Frustrated, Upset, why did no one listen?

Postby Hols969 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:32 am

It is extremely rare not to conceive because of pcos so honestly dont worry, some ladies take no time at all and others need a small amount of help and others need more help but pcos does not mean you are infertile by any means so try not to worry.

The implant is a HUGE no no from a pcos point of view and can make all the symptoms worse so its good you have come off. If you arent looking to have children yet then I would recommend going on the combined contraceptive as generally it is what pcos ladies are recommended to do. Losing weight is much easier as well (I put on 3 stone when I came off the pill when I was trying for a family) and am now back to a normal (ish) weight since going back on it.

Diet wise, dont do one.... eat little and often, no white carbs at all and reduce sugar, also processed food is not good for us either (as they tend to have hidden sugar in them). I tend to eat carbs (brown) during the day and no carbs at night and generally I have no issues maintaining my weight.

Because we lose weight slower than the norm, you do need to try and keep the motivation up which is why diets are generally not so good so its more the healthy eating and slow and steady weight loss. I quite like the 5:2 diet as you dont need anything specific, you just fast for 2 days (only 500 calories per day) and I find that quite easy, not to mention cheap too :-)

If you ate the recommended daily amount, because of PCOS, you would still gain 2lb a month so over a stone a year so we do need to eat less than non pcos ladies.

The one good thing about pcos is our egg quality remains better for longer so you can conceive well into your 30's (I was 36 when I conceived Noah) so you have plenty of time, so my advise for now is get your diet in check and go on the combined pill. You must have 4 periods a year to keep your uterus healthy (they can force a bleed if need be so if you havent had one by Oct/Nov I would go back to the gp and ask for provera to force it).

Honestly you do not need to worry about not being able to have children, you will!!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Verity Cafe