have i got PCOS?

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

have i got PCOS?

Postby endoftheroad » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:58 am

So am hoping someone can help. I have put on 5kg in the last 4 months, have developed acne on shoulders and arms since last autumn, face is hairier and my periods have become very light and often irregular; also keep getting dizzy spells. I recently had bad pelvic, cervical and ovary pain - first treated as PID but then given a scan - the scan was totally clear.

I still think I could have PCOS but as the scan was clear my GP is essentially treating me as a hypochondriac - can I have PCOS even if scan is clear? If not any ideas as to what I do next? It's really upsetting and feel like I can't go to my GP any more
endoftheroad

Re: have i got PCOS?

Postby Hols969 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:00 am

Yes because the cysts are only a symptom and not the cause, ask to be referred to an endocrinologist.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby endoftheroad » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:03 am

thanks for the advice; how should i present my case as it were for referral? I don't want to get brushed off again...
endoftheroad

Postby Hols969 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:15 pm

Look at the NICE guidelines on pcos, you can be diagnosed by symptoms alone. The other option is going to see an endo privately as it's not as expensive as you think.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Verity Cafe