General advice..

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

General advice..

Postby elliekate08 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:37 pm

Hi everyone,
New to this website but hope you're all well.
I was diagnosed in October 2014 and I thought I was coping fine, I'm on the pill to control my symptoms and it seems to be working fine. The only thing is I'm just starting to realise how little I actually know. Every time I go for a check up my doctor doesn't seem to think it's all together too serious, and can't really tell me much about it, but every time I try to research it a whole list of fertility issues comes up.
Most of the information I've found also seems to relate to an insulin resistance but I've been told my pcos is due to a testosterone imbalance, so I'm not sure if that info still applies.
I met my partner just after I was diagnosed, and this has made me think a lot more about it and the future. I know I definitely want children, but I'm only 20 and at university so definitely not right now; and yet I also feel like I'm trying to rush through so I can find out whether or not I can even have kids.
I hope this hasn't come across as too needy, but really any information or general advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks!
E x
elliekate08

Re: General advice..

Postby Hols969 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:29 am

Yes you can have kids, for some, they have no issues conceiving at all but for others it takes more help. It's extremely rare not to conceive because of pcos, our egg quality remains better for longer too so you definately have at least 10 years before you even need to consider it.

Make sure you have 4 periods a year to keep your uterus healthy. Being on the pill is fine and you have an increased chance if conceiving in the 6 months following as your body is less pcos. As for diet, cut out all white carbs and go brown, and cut out as much processed sugar as poss.

Pcos can cause issues but if you keep it under control then all should be fine
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: General advice..

Postby elliekate08 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:03 pm

That's a lot of things I didn't know, so that really helps. I had no idea our egg quality is better for longer, and I will definately start to alter my diet.
Thanks so much, you've eased my mind hugely.
E x
elliekate08

Return to Verity Cafe