Am I going mad?

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Am I going mad?

Postby BexA1988 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:07 am

Ladies, please help me I'm so confused?.

This is my "story" (promise I'm not auditioning for the X Factor).

To cut a long story short, IVE had 2 weeks of severe pelvic pain, and sharp stabbing pain in my left ovary. One hospital stay which resulted in a morphine overdose, catheter for 5 days due to being unable to empty my bladder, and eventually a scan- if was discovered I had polysistic ovaries, the pain was written off as a burst (several) ovarian cysts.
I was discharged, no after care and sent home with painkillers. 2 weeks later IVE seen my gp, been signed off work, and been re admitted to a different hospital for a second scan and opinion.
The pain is so bad I can barely walk
, I cannot look after my three children and I feel like I'm slowly going mad!.
I was discharged from the second hodpital last nifht, after having a clear ultrasound with no cysts showing, and the consultant then telling me, that she would discount my first scan at the previous hospital (which was just a week ago) she didn't think I had polysistic ovaries.
How can one consultant a week ago, show me my cysts on my ovaries (there were a lot on both) and confirm I had PCOS (which would make so much sense over the last few years) and this scan and consultant say completely different!.
My GP is trying to chase up the previous notes for the 1st admission.
I feel like I'm going mad, I'm on continuous pain and in fed up of being passed from pillar to post!.
Sorry for the rant, but in so lost!.
BexA1988

Re: Am I going mad?

Postby Hols969 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:16 am

Pain is not generally a symptom of pcos but is of endometreosis and there is a link between the two. Often GP's fob you off that it is pcos related but it tends to be endometreosis which unfortunately they cannot tell by a scan, it would need to be a laparoscopy. Cysts are only a symptom of pcos and not the cause, they are not really cysts anyway they are follicles so a cyst bursting is a different type of cysts (which can be extremely painful). Pcos cysts tend to be reabsorbed back into the body and dont cause any real issues (except fertility).

It may be worth asking to be referred to an endocrinologist as PCOS is their thing and so is endo so you could kill two birds with one stone.

I cant imagine the follicles for pcos would go in a week tho, so something is a bit weird about those two scans I have to say.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Verity Cafe