Possible diagnosis

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Possible diagnosis

Postby me3ad » Thu May 28, 2015 10:50 am

Hi all

I have been going Google mad over the last 24 hours so I thought it may help to post on here to people really in the know.
Yesterday I saw the doctor and he suspects I have polycystic ovaries. My LH hormone is extremely high apparently 12 is normal, and I have heard people online with PCOS saying 20 is high. My level was 57! I was on the pill for 6 years and stopped last September after getting married. Although we have not been TTC I was using a calendar and we avoided ovulation days. I was very regular for about 8 cycles. My last period was the beginning of April but something didn't seem quite right. It lasted 3 days in stead of 5 and my first day was so light I didn't count it.

My cycles are the same as a woman at work so I was waiting anxiously for my next visit from AF. Over a week after I was due on I had some spotting. Which was darker and only lasted an evening. I hoped maybe this was pregnancy and not a problem with my periods. I took pregnancy tests over and over knowing I was late but still not positive. I saw the doctor who asked me to do a clear blue test as she said this was the most accurate. Still negative. My sister is awaiting surgery for a prolapse and so I later went back and asked for an internal exam and she said I was healthy and shouldn't worry.

They soon ordered blood tests. I was thinking it may be a thyroid problem but no. The results said my LH was sky high. The doctor again asked if I could be pregnant and asked me to take another test. Other than no bleeds, a bigger appetite, possible spotting and some tiredness I had no other signs of pregnancy. I have tested again today and it's negative. Online I have found cases of women with no HCG detected during pregnancy but I really don't feel pregnant. My body has been paranoid that something is wrong.

I am waiting to hear from the hospital about a scan to see if I have any cysyts. I am now worrying like mad. The doctor I last saw, who was not my usual, said to research online, he was googling as I was there so I don't think he knew a lot. Having seen what other women with PCOS class as high I am now paranoid that I am experiencing early menopause instead. Although I am hoping to have healthy ovaries, I would rather have PCOS instead of early menopause.

Is there anyone out there with a similar story or similar hormone levels. My only other theory that gives me some peace is maybe I was ovulating on the day of my blood test and so my levels would be justified?
I have lots of friends with PCOS most are too young to try but I have one friend who has had two babies with minimal problems.

I am 26. I feel gutted as we were going to try in Januray but decided to wait one more year to save up. Now I feel like I may have lost my change to conceive.

I would really love to hear from anyone that may be able to help me???

Thanks xx
me3ad

Re: Possible diagnosis

Postby me3ad » Thu May 28, 2015 10:54 am

Also does anyone know how long I am likely to be waiting for a scan via the NHS?
me3ad

Postby Hols969 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:57 am

It varies massively from nhs area to area unfortunately. Was it lh or fsh levels as they are usually done together, what was the fsh level?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby me3ad » Thu May 28, 2015 12:22 pm

Well the doctor said it was just the LH levels that were high. However, he mentioned that there was something else that they should have requested on the blood tests that they didn't look at. However, I think FSH was on the slip that I took in for my blood tests so I THINK that it may have be regular.
I just wanted an idea of weeks or months really? If it takes a very long time, I may try to go private for piece of mind (not that I can afford it) xx
me3ad

Postby jaxtrax123 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:04 pm

It took me 7 months to get a scan ...but that was in Wales.
jaxtrax123

Return to Verity Cafe