Hello, New to Verity but not PCOS

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Hello, New to Verity but not PCOS

Postby Cari6192 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:06 am

Hi everyone

Just thought I'd say hi and tell you my background. I hope it's ok for me to put this in this bit.

I was officially diagnosed with PCOS in 2002, but it was previously suspected that I had PCOS but it was never investigated as overall I seemed ok, basically the pill screwed me up lol. I didn't start my periods until quite late (one month before I turned 18) but unusually I seemed to have it easy and had little pain (although some of my friends would say I was a pain lol) or bleeding and seemed to be not 100% regular but not completely irregular either for the first year becoming more irregular as time went on.

About 2 years later, I went on the pill and that is when all my problems seemed to start. I was in a fog all month, my periods became longer and heavier and very painful. The GP I was seeing at the time wasn't very helpful and all she said was it was a case of getting used to them. I ended up having to leave university as I missed so much and came home. Fortunately this meant I was able to see a different GP (the good one who I still see) who changed the pill I was on to a tri-phasic pill and that helped to a degree. I felt more normal for 3 weeks at least but I was still in absolute agony for the 4th week. In the end he took me off them and said it appeared that I couldn't cope with them. I have since found out that my mum was unable to take them either as they made her ill and doolally as she put it. So after he took me off them, my periods seemed to stop but the pain kept on. So he referred me for further investigations and tests (2001 and 2002), including blood tests, ultrasounds and a laparascopy. By the end of all the poking and prodding it resulted in a diagnosis of PCOS (so that confirmed that one), endometriosis and and retroverted uterus.

I was treated for the endometriosis with monthly injections of Gonadotrophin-releasing hormone for 6 months which basically shut down my system. The problem is I don't think it has ever restarted and after 12 years I'm getting rather fed up about that.

A few years later I was referred to an Endocrinologist who put me on Metformin and Vaniqa but wasn't really interested as at the time I wasn't TTC but as me and my partner at the time were thinking about our future and wanting kids at some point I did want to know more as to whether it would affect my chances etc. Fortunately I have a really good GP otherwise I wouldn't have got as far as I have. I spent the best part of 11 years with that partner and most of the time we played unprotected and not once did I fall pregnant. We had sort of said that we wouldn't actively try but if I did I did.

I had the worst side effects from the Metformin and it made me quite ill, we tried different dosages, taking them at different times of the day, everything, so my GP now won't give me that, and I'm quite glad as I really don't want to go through that again. I am back on the Vaniqa for my hair which I find helps.

I've since split with that partner but am aware that I am now 37 and my current partner is very keen on kids. He was quite surprised when I said I wasn't on the pill and was a bit worried about us getting pregnant too soon into our relationship. He knew I was going to see the GP (I currently have regular appointments for depression following a breakdown last year) so he said about asking about the pill. Well I kind of already suspected what my GP would say and I was right, that'll be a no, you can't have it. Boyfriend knows I have an underlying condition but not the full details. Not long after we met I did actually have a bit of spotting (I nearly had a heart attack as it had been about 2 maybe 3 years since I last had anything and then it was so heavy and I was in absolute agony for two days, it was like a switch just started like that and then stopped after 2 days) and so he knew about that (the spotting) so after that he (without telling me) tried to guess my cycles so assumed I was 'on' when I wasn't. So he now knows as well that my cycles are affected and seems ok about it.

So that's where I am at the moment, I want treatment but can't as my body can't seem to handle it and it makes me more ill :( but I have to admit I am now starting to worry about the fact it has been over 11 years since I really had a period (can I really count the two that I had 3 years ago?)

I'll probably have questions but I think I'll save them or later.

Anyway, thanks for reading if you got this far, sorry it turned out as long as it did.

Cari :)
Cari6192

Return to Verity Cafe