Metformin

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Metformin

Postby Le Clair » Fri May 15, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi All

Finally got a Dr to talk to me seriously about PCOS and my lack of bleeds!

She's put me back onto Yasmin (Yay!) and prescribed Metformin (finally - old Drs refused to even discuss it!) - Am on 2 500mg tablets a day. :D

Have to say that it's playing havoc with my guts and have only had 3 tablets so far! Don't have cramps but have had to run a couple of times. Is this normal? Should I be going back to Drs?

Am new to Metformin, and am wondering if it's just that my system needs to get used to it - Also can you drink on it? The leaflet says no but then it says no for everything! :P

Cheers

LC
Le Clair

Re: Metformin

Postby Wonderwoman76 » Wed May 20, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi!

My boyfriend is on met for diabetes type 2 and yes he got 'caught short' a few times at first too :oops:

However, all settled down maybe after a month and no side effects now.

Good luck.
Wonderwoman76

Postby Le Clair » Thu May 21, 2015 7:25 am

Hi Wonderwoman76

I managed to speak to the Dr and she's put me on the slow release stuff - 1 tablet a day to start off until I see her next month.

Had 2 days worth now and a couple of cans yesterday after a mammoth gardening session - Touch wood have been OK so far!

Although acid test will be next week, when on hol!

You are right though, my system had to settle down - am determined to make it work as have been waiting so long for a Dr to take this seriously enough to prescribe metformin at all!

Cheers

LC
Le Clair

Postby Hols969 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:54 am

Yes totally normal with metformin, they do do a slow release version which isnt as harsh on the tum so if it doesnt settle down in a month then go back and ask for it (it is more expensive so isnt given out that often!)
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Verity Cafe