Waiting on doc appointment - PCOS?

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Waiting on doc appointment - PCOS?

Postby lizzyp17 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi ladies,
I'm waiting for a doctor's appointment for another 3 weeks but I have been worrying about PCOS for a long time and wanted to see what you guys thought about these symptoms, as I'm not sure. My fiance and I aren't TTC yet, but we plan to start shortly after our wedding in a few months.
My symptoms:
- periods are slighly (I think) irregular - typically between 26-33 days, but usually no more than 2-4 days difference each cycle (so one month 29, next 27, next 25, etc)
- a few darker hairs on chin, stomach and chest
- some acne (not very severe) usually just before period
- ovulation pain (or so the doctor has said) about half way through cycle
- anxiety (quite possibly unrelated)
- a little overweight (although not around the waist), size 14

I've never been pregnant or TTC before. Last month was super stressful (death in the family, planning our wedding, finding a new job for my fiance, etc) and I traveled to the US - my period was very late and I'm pretty sure I ovulated late (based on cervical mucus), which is not typical, so I'm ignoring that really. I have been worrying about it, and I hadn't had any EWCM this month so I used the Clearblue ovulation test (the 2 hormone version) today (cycle day 19) and got a 'not fertile' result, but then got a lot of what seemed like EWCM, which confused me to no end. What do you guys think? Does it sound like PCOS?
lizzyp17

Re: Waiting on doc appointment - PCOS?

Postby Hols969 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:28 am

I would ignore the clearblue test as if you do have pcos then they are very unreliable, better to check for signs as you are doing.

I would ask for a scan to see if you have cysts, I had relatively regular periods so was different to the norm (but rarely ovulated), I was usually 2-11 days late. I was told that if you are 2 days over whatever your normal cycle is then the chances of ovulation were slim. Some ladies have no symptoms at all but still have the cysts on their ovaries and usually find out when they are TTC so definitely worth checking it out. If you have got it, its not the end of the world, we are not infertile by any means and its pretty rare not to conceive because of pcos.

Let us know how your appointment goes, dont let them fob you off, ask for a scan and bloods (bloods can be normal too so you definitely need both tests).
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Verity Cafe