how to get my Dr to take me seriously?

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

how to get my Dr to take me seriously?

Postby EmmyW1984 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:49 am

About 4 years ago I went to the Dr with concerns about my irregular periods and that my (then) fiance and I were ttc and had been on and off for a couple of years. My Dr took a blood test to check hormone levels and referred me to the practice nurse to try and get my weight under control. At an appointment with the nurse a few weeks later I asked about the blood test results and the nurse said that everything was fine and not to worry.

I had previously been tested for PCOS because of irregular cycles when I was around about 16 (so 10 years before I went to the Dr with my concerns), had a blood test, ultrasound scan, even an mri scan on the pituary gland, but nothing was showing. So I came away none the wiser, but left with these irregular cycles.

A couple of years ago I went back to the Dr and raised my suspicions that I could possibly have PCOS because of the following
[*]excess hair on my face
[*]difficult to lose weight
[*]irregular cycles

However the Dr said that she thought it was highly unlikely that I had PCOS because of the previous testing I'd had and just reiterated that I needed to concentrate on the weight loss.

I've been taking Agnus Castus now for a couple of years and do find that that has helped immensely with the cycle length and regularity. However, the past two cycles I have had mid cycle bleeding roughly a week and a half before ovulation and immediately added 2 and 2 together and came to 22 (thinking it was cancer). But after a bit more research it seems that women with PCOS can also suffer with this too.

I started spotting for a few days around the 20th of Feb on the got a positive ovulation test on Sunday (the 1st of March), which means I'm around 2dpo today. And because my Dr books up so far in advance the next available appointment with her isn't until when I should be on my period, if the positive ovulation test is correct. So I'm having to wait until I start my period before booking an appointment with her in case she wants to do a smear.

I'm sorry if this is really jumbled up and not making much sense, I've got so many thoughts running round my head. I'm just wondering how to get her to take me seriously and get the testing that I might need?

Edited to add ** I could very well just be looking too much into the bleeding and jumping to conclusions as it could very well be ovulation bleeding. It's just that so many things add up and I'm just thinking that it's better to get checked to be on the safe side
EmmyW1984

Re: how to get my Dr to take me seriously?

Postby Hols969 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:05 pm

I would ask for further investigation. Cysts can come and go and blood tests can be hit and miss as well, you can be diagnosed by symptoms alone (have a look at the NICE guidelines on PCOS as they may help). Ovulation tests can be hit and miss for pcos ladies so I would look at the fertilityfriends website and it advises the signs the body can give you to suggest you are ovulating.

There is a Verity Facebook page and also I have joined the PCOS (cysters in the UK) group too which is very friendly (and a closed group so people cant see your posts) which are more active too so come and join us on there as there are quite a few ladies TTC currently and its good to get support from ladies that understand.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: how to get my Dr to take me seriously?

Postby Meringoo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:32 pm

^ Here's the link: http://cks.nice.org.uk/polycystic-ovary-syndrome

Also, if you were taking the pill when your blood tests were done, that would have affected the results. See a different doctor and push for a referral to an endocrinologist or gynaecologist. Telling you to lose weight isn't helpful. You are most likely trying to do this, but it's a vicious cycle with PCOS!

Treatment options to get your particular symptoms under control include the combined pill (an anti-androgenic brand such as Dianette would be the first choice for acne and hisuitism, and should be offered to you as long as it's safe), Spironolactone (an anti-androgen), and Metformin.
Meringoo

Return to Verity Cafe