New, scared and weepy

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

New, scared and weepy

Postby Mogff85 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Hiya. New to the forum and might be jumping the gun a bit as I only have my GP appointment tomorrow to discuss the possibility of having PCOS. I've thought I'd had it for a little while (esp since coming off the pill which I think hid the symptoms from 17 onwards). I have irregular period and since coming off the pill a second time this year they have been getting further and further apart each cycle. I also have the oily skin and hair and hair where I don't want it. The symptom that has bothered me the most recently and has spurred me into getting an appointment is hair loss. I am absolutely devastated and cry every day. I never thought at 30 I would be spending time finding which way to tie my hair for work to hide the parts where the parting is just too wide or to bring it down over my temples. It's heartbreaking to see so much hair come out when I brush/shower! I am hoping that getting back onto a pill will restore it - or am I setting myself up for disappointment? Thanks for any help.
Mogff85

Re: New, scared and weepy

Postby Hols969 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:20 am

I do find the combined pill does control the symptoms better including hair loss - ask to be referred to an endocrinologist as pcos is their area and there is medication you can try for hair loss. The pill does tend to mask the pcos symptoms which is why it has flared up since coming off it. I've been on the pill for 30 odd years on and off and it's the only thing that controls it for me. Good luck today, you do have to push your gp sometimes so be firm and ask to be referred.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Verity Cafe