New to PCOS

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

New to PCOS

Postby Eleanor_Lynes » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi,
I found this site after googling PCOS. I'm 24 and I got diagnosed with PCOS back in February (after 6 years of no periods - I hate going to the doctor). I'm hoping that I will be able to chat with people in a similar situation and get a bit of support. Its only recently sunk in and I feel a bit overwhelmed with it all. I am very overweight and have been trying to work on that and to have a healthier lifestyle but its so difficult to make such a huge change. Does anyone have any tips or advice about how to start out and how to process the diagnosis?
Thanks
Eleanor_Lynes

Re: New to PCOS

Postby Hols969 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:26 pm

You do need to make sure you have at least 2-3 periods a year to keep your uterus healthy, they can force a period if need be. So you must go back to the GP to get tablets or alternatively go on the combined contraceptive pill as this helps control the symptoms (and I find it easier losing weight when Im on the pill/

As for the joy of the weight side of pcos, little and often as we store fat really easily so have 6 small meals a day and only eat the brown carbs and reduce as much sugar as poss. It is tricky to lose weight and you do need real motivation but you need to find a diet that suits you and your lifestyle as that is key. I don't have pasta and rice any more as I cant control my portion size so for me its easier to have a potato.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby wrigglepup » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:34 pm

welcome Eleanor
I only found out cause I had a pill break and had no periods, now on combination pill.
It's odd having pcos I find, have gone on low GI diet, and very happy with results. Don't be put off to speak to your doctor, they are there for your benefit, mine referred me to a dietitian although its taken a few years to take it onboard, probably cause the health service give us the diagnoses and leave us to our own devices. Mum has diabetes and she has to keep appointments with gp while I have never had a follow up appointment no other blood tests, pcos isn't as bad as diabetes but it can be! I feel normal but I don't feel normal?!
It was good to hear pcos mentioned on radio 1 today in relation to weight gain and problems with weight problems!
xx
wrigglepup

Postby Eleanor_Lynes » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:14 pm

That's exactly how I feel, normal but not normal. It isn't affecting my daily life or anything but the idea that I am at a higher risk of things like diabetes and that it may be more difficult for me to conceive is quite daunting. I know that I need to take action now to ensure that I don't develop any illnesses, I need to be healthier and lose weight but its hard to process these things when I'm so young and am not thinking about family and things like that. I went to the doctor yesterday and he is going to refer me to a dietician so hopefully that will help. He said that it isn't essential for me to have a period though (I told him that my last course of provera didn't work) so I'm a bit confused about that.
Eleanor_Lynes

Postby Hols969 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:30 pm

God they drive me mad, it is essential you have a period. One lady contacted us as she had developed uterine cancer which she was told happened because she didn't have any periods and was never told how important it is to have them to clear the womb lining. Can you go on the combined contraceptive pill or the other alternative is the coil to help have a period?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby wrigglepup » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:29 pm

Sounds like my Dr was quite clued up on pcos, they made me have a period and told me it is essential that we have them regularly, haven't had one since being on cerelle contraceptive which I have heard is quite normal. I hope is ok but is that pcos?
They said if I don't have periods I can end up with cancer of the womb lining!
As for healthy eating and watching our weight, It seems essential for every one anyway but I really went off the rails when they told me all the things I should avoid, I really couldn't stop eating chocolate and cakes! When before I wasn't bothered! I felt guilty and annoyed at my lack of self control!
wrigglepup

Postby miracle19 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:21 pm

I was the same and went 8 years without having a period and it wasn't until just before planning ot begin Clomid that they gave me noristherone to induce a period. I ddn't know until after my kids and speaking with a different GP that it isn't healthy to go that long and they should have induced periods for me.
TTC baby number 2 since 2007
10 cycles of Clomid DIDN'T WORK.
Ovarian Drilling DONE 17th May 2012....
Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes Aug 2013
5 natural cycles since then...
27.1.14 BFP!!!!!!! oh my god! DUE DATE 3.10.14 IT'S A BOY!!
NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!
BABY BOY JOSHUA STEPHEN BORN 25.9.14 WEIGHING 8lb 1oz

http://swlm.lilyslim.com/TikiPic.php/DyDFRg7.jpg
The ticker URL:
http://swlm.lilyslim.com/DyDFp1.png

miracle19

Return to Verity Cafe