New to verity

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

New to verity

Postby Cysterstacey » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi everyone :)
I'm new to the board, but been living with PCOS for 15 years.
I originally was in complete denial about my symptoms, joking that having a period every 2 years was fine by me, and shaving became a daily routine that just blended into my care regime.
I was lazy at taking my medication (metformin) and because I'm gay, the motherhood thing never crossed my mind.
For the past few years I've grown up a lot and realised it's silly to ignore everything and so tried various things, lost 50lbs
Which didn't actually help any of my symptoms, in fact as soon as I hit 30 new symptons appeared. (Male pattern baldness)

What's bothering me now is that since July ive had pretty much a none stop period, after going 2.5 years without one, it's like my body is making up for it! It ranges from spotting to flooding but has been relentless.
My GP hasnt been that helpful, just refused to put me under a endocrinologists supervision and gave me a prescription of Metformin again and sent me on my way.
Having a 3 month period has been annoying, painful, expensive and not great for relationships. Is this bleeding a common part of PCOS?

Anyway, that's my story! Sorry for the garble but I feel better typing that off my chest :)
Thanks everyone
Cysterstacey

Re: New to verity

Postby Hols969 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:55 pm

You can get some medication to stop the bleeding. It also may be worth looking at the NICE guidelines about PCOS and also about being referred to a endocrinologist too. Well done on losing 50lb, that is amazing, I lost about 30 and my symptoms didn't improve either, the 'miracle' weight loss doesn't work for all of us in improving the symptoms.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: New to verity

Postby Cysterstacey » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:51 am

Thanks for the reply! I'll look up the NICE guidelines. Well done on the 30lb loss, that's great. I've put around 25lbs back on, but vow to lose a stone by Christmas!
Thanks for youre help. I don't feel as daft for worrying now.
Cysterstacey

Return to Verity Cafe