Recently Diagnosed... Help! :(

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Recently Diagnosed... Help! :(

Postby JessicaLea92 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:57 pm

I guess my journey started at 18, I started getting pains in my sides.. I went to the doctors and they would just do swabs. at the time i was taking dianette so wasn't concerned and didn't ask questions and was having regular withdrawl bleeds. After stopping dianette i went on the depo for 1 year before going back on dianette for another 3 years. The doctor then told me i had been on dianette to long and gave me mycrogynon.. in all this time im still getting pains in my sides. I was on mycrogynon for no more than 6 months i kept bleeding randomly and the pains in my sides got worse.. i was then of birth control for 6 months i was 21 at the time and i believe i ovulated once.. but i had periods.. well they started getting longer between... i then had the copper iud fitted the beginning of this year as i didn't want anymore hormonal contraceptives. I believe i ovulated twice the whole 6 months it was in and the last time was may i had a light spotting instead of a period so being concerned i was pregnant with the coil in i went to the dr ( i had moved in this time so i had a brand new doctors surgery amd was lucky enough that i was landed with a lady gyny :) ) anyway she was concerned i was pregnant also and sent me for an ultrasound.. no baby..but cysts on both overies... then i had bloods to confirm and hey presto 3 weeks in a new are and diagnosed with pcos.. the exact same time me and my partner decide to ttc! So im devestated... :'( Im up and down all the time so many questions.. I heard alot about metformin (i know its not a fertility drug) when i asked my doctor about it she just kinda palmed me of and said i would have to be ttc for a year before anything but she perscribed me.folic acid.. i was disappointed (it would of been nice to have had a regular cycle to start with) so tho a bit up and down i was ready to start ttc... then a week later i got back from visiting family and had a letter from my dr saying to call her.. i did she said my testosterone was 2.6% and a normal level is 1.8% and would i go for more tests to confirm that so she could refer me to an endocrinologist who may or may not want to do something about it... so i did and now im waiting... but after 4 years im.getting pretty sick of it! Should i push my doctor to do the insulin resistance tests and vitamin d tests? I just seem to be getting no where fast... any advice would be great.. i feel so alone in this.. as great as my partner is.
JessicaLea92

Re: Recently Diagnosed... Help! :(

Postby Hols969 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:34 am

Periods don't mean much to be honest, I had relatively regular periods but rarely ovulated. I would start taking your temperature to see if you are ovulating as it is the only accurate way with PCOS (look at fertilityfriends website).

Thing is as you are now TTC there is no point in seeing an endocrinologist as they treat pcos but not fertility. It is extremely rare not to conceive because of pcos, for some it just takes a bit more time, there is so much help nowadays. I would ask to be referred to fertility as soon as you hit the 6 month mark, look at the NICE guidelines as generally it is 6 months with a known fertility issue. The main thing to do is get your body in the best shape ready to conceive, and your partner as 1/3 of fertility issues are now men, so get him on the Boots Vit C and zinc tablets as they will boost them anyway incase there are any issues. Is your bmi under 30 as they wont offer fertility treatment if it is over that.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby JessicaLea92 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:11 am

Ive been temp charting and were both taking were both taking our vitamins and eating right.. my bmi is 29 since 16 ive constantly had to watch my weight or it would shoot up to fast.. so were on the right path.. i just feel like ive been diagnosed then left to my own.. my mum asked if i was given anything for it as the cysts are just gunna keep coming.. but thank you for your advice :)
JessicaLea92

Postby Hols969 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:25 pm

The cysts come and go though and sometimes you won't have any. They disperse naturally back into the body (they really are follicles rather than cysts) generally. Looks like you are doing everything you can to help with conceiving - it will happen so don't get too frustrated !
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Verity Cafe