Newbie... Hello everyone

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Newbie... Hello everyone

Postby lauralockhart103 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi everyone,
New to this forum. Should of joined years ago. I'm only 24 and got diagnosed with pcos at 16. No one else in my family has it. So I've joined in hope to find other people going through the same things as me just to talk too. :-)
Thanks
Laura
lauralockhart103

Re: Newbie... Hello everyone

Postby Hols969 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:35 am

Someone in your family will have it as it is hereditary down both male and female lines (not really ovary related so a bit misleading!!) Welcome to Verity, we have lots of lovely ladies on here.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby tscott2010 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi!
Its a great website! I came across it earlier on this year. I am now 25 and was diagnosed a year and a half ago. This website is a great help! How are you coping with PCOS?
Toni
tscott2010

Postby Hols969 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:30 pm

I was diagnosed about 25 years ago!!! For me the combined pill controls the symptoms pretty well now thank goodness, had laser for the facial hair which was expensive but worth it, and found a diet that suits so I can stay generally ok weight wise. So I've learnt to control the symptoms!!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby lauralockhart103 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:57 am

Hi, thanks for the welcoming replys!
I've not coped with it very well at all. Like I said I've asked everyone in my family if they have it or known any the deceased relatives who had it and seriously none of them have. Or if they have got it they don't have it the same strane as me.

I can't come to terms still with the facial hair, I have to shave or pluck it every morning because that (and all my hairs) grow so quickly, I'm suffering from insulin resistance problems, acne, oily skin and hair, depression, hirsutism and worse of all my ovaries are covered in cysts so I roughly only have only two periods a year. I image most the ladies here are struggling with these problems too, it will be nice talking to people who understand.

My husband and I really want to start a family but with my pcos, I feel like we're never going to be able too. I know it sounds silly but when I'm the only female member of both mine and my husband family who have not had children and it seems, is the only one who is not super fertile it makes me feel even worse, like I shouldn't be included in the family units. There always talking babies, children and pregnancy and what to do with the kids in the next holiday. As for me I don't even have regular periods so what chance have I got in getting pregnant?

My husband is fantastic and has been there for me from the start. But right now I feel like giving up on my dreams of becoming a parent and getting control over my pcos but I don't want to let my husband down.

Enough ranting off me. Thanks again for your welcome :lol:
lauralockhart103

Postby Hols969 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:21 pm

You can conceive without periods so don't focus too much on them. We all get there in the end so try not to worry too much, just takes a bit of patience sometimes (but good for when you have little ones!!)
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby tscott2010 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:34 am

I know the feeling and trust me it does get better with time. The more research you can do and just finding out more makes you feel slightly more in control. Thats how i would say i am feeling. I dont have as much symptoms as you im afraid so i guess i cant really put myself into your shoes. I have the insuline resistance and the folicles all over my ovaries. I have been having one period every six months, which i know doesnt mean much considering the situation, but i do admit there is something settling about having a period. Perhaps its that feeling of knowing something may be happening...who knows. My weight has certainly been the biggest issue. When i was diagnosed i was over 15 and half st, and im a short wee thing at 5ft 4 so small and round is pretty much my shape!!! Ive always found it a struggle but managing it more and more now. Ive lost 1 and half stone and its still coming off...nice and slowely....which again can be frustrating but, its coming off and staying off and thats the main thing.
My husband has been fantastic too but i also know the feeling of being alone at the same time. My sister in law, now has two children, very fetile. My other sister in law who i am very close to, shes quite abit older than myself, and was hoping to have a child. Things were progressing slowly with her and i admit it was nice to have someone, sort of in the same boat as me. She has just had a baby girl last week, and i am so chuffed to bits for her. But i admit theres a little part of me that feels i have just lost that person i can talk to about it who understands. my husband gets it ofcourse, but from a slightly different place i think. I hate to think what id be like if i didnt have him though.
At what stage are you with your doctor or being refered for fertility treatment?
xxx
tscott2010

Postby wrigglepup » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi just read your post and I was the only one in my family with this or so I thought till the other week mum told me one of my little cousins has just been diagnosed she's about 25 years younger than me. The rest of my family have had loads of children easily. Mum and nan have facial hair though and larger also both have type 2 diabetes. My dad had high colestral I have read that that has some connection, don't know if that's true though. X
wrigglepup

Postby Emzie » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:03 pm

Hello, Just been diagnosed! Bit of a poop situation I have no history of my dads side as he died when I was 14. My sister has endometriosis and been fighting to look at that for myself, only now are they listening to me I am 29. It was found due to ending up in hospital and a scan revealing multiple follicles on both ovaries. I am guessing like a lot of people complete confusion with diagnosis.
Emzie

Return to Verity Cafe