Is it possible to "kind of" have PCOS?

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Is it possible to "kind of" have PCOS?

Postby Bayvin » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:40 pm

Hello,

I've had a diagnosis of PCOS since I was fourteen years old. I am now 26. I was wondering if, as it is a syndrome, it's possible to only have some and not ALL of the symptoms of PCOS? For example, I have the abdominal fat, absence of periods, mood swings and general feelings of disgust but I do not have skin problems (thankfully), excess hair growth (again thankfully) and no insulin resistance. I was put on contraceptives at a very young age and I feel that I want to understand the condition more. I have tried Metformin unsuccessfully for 18 months and I seem to have come to a brick wall in terms of what to do next. I am not in a steady relationship but I want to have children in the future. I don't really know what to do at all now but PCOS has dominated a lot of my twenties and teens and I have had enough mucking about. Currently, I am on another contraceptive and I don't know why I am on it.

Anyway, as with all the messages here, there is more to this tale. Is there anyone out there for whom Metformin did not work? Or someone else in a similar situation? Advice?

Thank you for reading.
Bayvin

Re: Is it possible to "kind of" have PCOS?

Postby Hols969 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:36 am

Yes not everyone has all the symptoms, some only have irregular periods but some have the horrible ones too. The contraceptive pill is the best way to control the symptoms and can increase the chances of getting pregnant quicker as your body is less pcos. As for metformin, our experts think it only helps a tiny percentage of ladies with pcos and think it's dished out too much with no thought to the long term consequences of using it when it is of no benefit which is why it is not licenced as a pcos drug in the UK.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Wonderwoman76 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:37 pm

I don't have all the symptoms either. But as I have only cysts on my right side none on my left have been told 'I'm not textbook'. I'm still lacking any help or info though :-( Metformin was mentioned for me but has not been prescribed. I am thinking of going back on the pill to at least alleviate the PMS and heavy painful period side of this. But scared of more weight gain... that said when I was on the pill in the past I was more successful at keeping my weight under control. I just don't know...!
Wonderwoman76

Postby Hols969 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:50 pm

Yes Im on the contraceptive pill and it just makes losing weight that tad bit easier than without.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Wonderwoman76 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:17 pm

aha, good to hear that Hols969 as I have been thinking that my weight was much more in check when I was on the pill (was even as low as 8.5 stone...now am 11...) I am going to go behind my doctor's back and go to family planning clinic (staff are nicer there too) and sort that out.
Wonderwoman76

Return to Verity Cafe