Please help, struggling to get diagnosed - is this PCOS?

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Please help, struggling to get diagnosed - is this PCOS?

Postby Kelster81 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:57 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for advice and hope someone can help...

I was diagnosed with Endometriosis in 2010 and now strongly believe I have PCOS too. I was tricycling the pill (Microgynon) for two years to treat my Endo symptoms with no problems until September 2013 when I began to get really sick... My hair started falling out, I had frequent migraines, loss of appetite and constant nausea which was so bad I could hardly get out of bed. My GP at the time told me to stop taking the pill so I did and my symptoms disappeared. The only problem is that since stopping the pill last September I've only had 4 menstrual periods; my last one was in January this year, almost 21 weeks ago. I also had a laparoscopy in January to treat my Endometriosis symptoms where my surgeon told me one of my ovaries was enlarged. I have been badgering my GP to refer me to Gynae but she keeps putting me off. I had to go behind her back when she was on annual leave and get another GP to refer me for an ultrasound last month! The result of my ultrasound was:

"Both ovaries appear bulky; the right measuring 53.9mm x 19.1mm, several immature follicles peripherally distributed noted, measuring approx. 10mm. The left ovary measures 51.8mm x 29.1mm and contains multiple immature follicles, appearances of both ovaries are suggestive of PCOS. Please correlate with biochemical markers. No adnexal mass identified".

This might sound stupid, but could this indicate something other than PCOS? Because despite this ultrasound report and recent hormone blood tests showing a raised testosterone level of 2.8 (as well as other hormone levels I forget the name of now) my GP refuses to give me a referral to Gynae or a definite diagnosis. It's so frustrating I could cry! She keeps saying I need to check things with my colleagues first, or you need a repeat hormone test. All this time in my eyes has been wasted with her dragging her feet when I could've been waiting for a referral to Gynae. Here are my current symptoms:

- My periods have stopped (21 weeks since my last period)
- Raised testosterone levels
- Ultrasound shows bulky ovaries and multiple immature follicles
- I suddenly have oily skin and spots (at 32!)
- Increased facial and body hair

My question is, is this PCOS or could it be something else? Maybe my pill has screwed up my fertility or something? I don't know, please if anyone can help or has been through the same thing I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for reading my post - sorry it was so long!
Kelster81

Re: Please help, struggling to get diagnosed - is this PCOS

Postby Hols969 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:28 am

It certainly sounds like pcos, blood tests can come back normal. I would ask to be referred to an endocrinologist as pcos is their area rather than a gynae. Good luck.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: Please help, struggling to get diagnosed - is this PCOS

Postby Kelster81 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:16 am

Thank you Hols969 - my GP is going to call me on Friday so I'll make sure to ask her about going to see an endocrinologist x
Kelster81

Return to Verity Cafe