Fat and hairy with cysts but no PCOS

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Fat and hairy with cysts but no PCOS

Postby Nandosliz » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:06 pm

I feel like I'm going insane. I was diagnosed with PCOS around 15 years ago. This was a real uphill struggle as the hormone tests were normal. My symptoms were rapid weight gain, a beard and my periods were unimaginably heavy and happened every other week. It took almost a year of fighting with the doctor to find out what was wrong with me. I had lots of 'its probably stress, give it another couple of months and your periods will settle down'. I felt like I was neurotic. Eventually I was sent for a scan and they found cysts on my ovaries. Once i received the diagnosis I was relieved that there was a reason that my body was behaving in this way. I bought a book about it. The GP put me on Dianette and away I went for 15 years. In that time I have spent thousands to get my beard to a manageable condition. I take the pill (Yasmin now, after 10 years on Dianette. Turns out I'm lucky i didn't die from thrombosis) even though I don't need it for contraception and I have tried every diet under the sun but gained a stone each year.

This week I went back to the GP because I am sick of being fat. She did some blood test, hormone, thyroid and blood sugars. All of which are normal. She then told me that I don't have PCOS as I don't have the 'markers'. She was bemused that I burst into tears. She gave me the sage advice not to diet and told me to make little life long changes. Although she was trying to be helpful she was very far from it.

I have never felt so low. Once again I have to go away and get on with it. Once again it is all in my head. I am obviously just greedy. Clearly by removing my beard I have cured the cause of it. What do I do now? I feel lost. Any advice at this point would be welcome.
Nandosliz

Re: Fat and hairy with cysts but no PCOS

Postby Hols969 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:15 am

If you were diagnosed before then you still have it, your GP is wrong, blood tests often come back normal so I would ignore what she has said. You are born with pcos and their is no cure. As for diet, really you need to find a diet that suits you as that is key to losing weight. Lots of ladies like slimming world, I like the Norah Lane diet which is the only diet I have managed to lose weight on and keep it off. The key really is to eat 6 small meals a day because our body goes into storage mode very easily. If you ate the RDA you would still put on 2lb a month, so over a stone a year because of how we deal with it, so you need to eat less than a non pcos lady just to remain the same weight. It is tough and you do need to try and keep up the motivation, which is the toughest bit. I lost 2 stone in a month on the NL diet and a few ladies both lost 7 stone each in a year on it. The GP could refer you to a nutritionist but to be honest the majority do not know enough about PCOS so it doesn't always achieve much. Have you been tested for insulin resistance/diabetes as well?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Verity Cafe