help/advice

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

help/advice

Postby sun_city_girl » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:20 am

Just some advice re PCOS, will be 30 in a couple of months, was diagnosed with pcos at about aged 19 via TV ultrasound, I think the report said I had 9 cysts on my ovaries and at the time my bloods were normal according to my GP, never ever was referred or had any follow up, at the time had no symptoms of pcos apart from irregular periods/long cycles/heavy periods. Started over the years to become a bit more hairy and have the odd spot, and periods were vaguely irregular. Met my current partner (we have now been together 8 years) and went on the POP (cerazette) which I was on for about 6 or 7 years, never had any bleeding whilst on it. Last october I stopped taking it as was starting to get headaches, got my first period on 17th Decemeber and continued to have regular 30 - 35 day cycles with my periods being very odd compared to what I remember (ie normal, lasting 4-5 days compared to 7-10 days when I was a teenager!) up until my last period which was May 5th ish, two weeks ago started to get sore boobs and this week had a positive pregnancy test.
So really my question is, can pcos go away? or can you still have regular periods and have pcos?
Im really scared of having a miscarriage and have already in the last month been drinking alcohol, taken codeine, been in contact with a patient with shingles (have already had chickenpox though) and eaten rare meat!
I dont suppose there is much I can do about it however.
sun_city_girl

Re: help/advice

Postby Hols969 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:10 am

No pcos cannot go away, even tho the norm seems to be absent periods, I had regular periods but actually rarely ovulated so a period does not mean you are ovulating.

As you say, you have been in contact with things that are not ideal when pregnant, but you were non the wiser and it is in the past so there is not much you can do really!! I would mention it to your GP as well as they may be able to do an early scan for you just to reassure you. It is quite common to get period cramps when you are pregnant and an increased discharge as well so dont worry if you get both!! Congratulations....
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby sun_city_girl » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:19 am

thanks fo the reply, I didnt think it could go away, it justs seems so different since I came off the pill, really weird.
I have been getting mild period type pains but not noticed any discharge, I keep expecting to have a period anytime soon and cant really believe the test was positive, so keeping my fingers and toes crossed.
sun_city_girl

Postby sun_city_girl » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:03 am

Just to update, had my 12 week scan last week which went well.
The sonographer looked at my ovaries which are both a healthy size with no cysts!
Obviously pcos is a misnomer.
I still have my other symptoms - hypothyroidism, overweight, slightly hirsute and the odd spot.
I'm sure soon it will be renamed, it seems to be a general endocrine disorder in which polycystic ovaries are a symptom rather than the cause.
sun_city_girl

Postby Hols969 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:36 am

That's great news !!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby nini1987 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi I have just joined as thought it may be an idea. My story- I have always suffered from irregular periods, too heavy or too light, crazy mood swings, depression, low sex drive, no motivation, cravings for foods, bladder problems, abdominal pains. The doctors fobbed me off for years and kept giving me different contraceptive pills. When enough was enough I demanded more tests (which they did). I had loads of bloood tests, scans etc and they found nothing. THEN they did an internal ultrasound which found the polycystic ovaries. But they didnt explain to me what it was and they didnt even diagnose me with it. The woman who found it just said " oh, you have polycystic ovaries". A few weeks later I had'nt heard anything so I booked an appointment at the doctors. They didnt have anything on file about the ultrasound and didnt even know that i had polycystic ovaries. I told the doctor that this was said when I had my ultrasound and he gave me some leaflets and information on it. He also said to look it up, which I did and the first thing that came up in big writing was INFERTILITY and WEIGHT GAIN. I was 21 at this point and it was not something I wanted to see. Anyway, my symptoms continued and I was putting on loads of weight which I just could not control. I joined slimming world, the gym, went swimming all the time and it just kept piling on. I went back to the doctors and told them i was very depressed and concerned over my big weight gain. He gave me anti depressants and told me to see a councilor to speak about my problems. I did as i was told and a few years went on. I started drinking loads, not eating, very very depressed, sleeping around, going out all the time, getting into fights etc. I couldnt control myself. Then one day i just woke up and said I cant do this anymore or i am gona end up dead!!!
A trip to the doctors then was quite sucessful. I got referred to a gynaecologist and was given a weight loss tablet called orlistat. well how bad was that, everytime i ate it was leaking out my back passage as a orange liquid which stained everything and was beginning to take over. I couldnt go anywhere, do anything or eat or drink anything. I went back to doctors and came off them. Was given metformin then. In the meantime I had an appointment with the gynaecologist and he said he wanted to operate to have a look for endometriosis. Had a laparoscopy 2 years ago and got the all clear. Also had my first smear and that was clear. None of my symptoms had changed. I was really really getting fed up. And heard nothing more from the gynaecologist. I still havent to this day and ive been back to doctors several times, they have done blood tests over and over and nothing. I have been doing slimming world again since july 2013 and only have lost 10lbs. Ive been in a relationship with a lovely man for 2 years now and we go on bike rides, eat healthy together, go to the gym and swimming a few times a week. We also have a few problems ( in the bedroom) I have always been very shy about my body and hid away and we hardly ever ever have sex, because i cant be bothered or not in the mood for it. I also want children so bad and he does too but i just dont want sex and to have children i need sex . We have not used contraception since november so i should be back to normality now. Please help me??? I am seriously gonna have a breakdown, Im so unhappy and if i dont something soon and start seeing improvements im gonna lose my man cos im so miserable and low in motivation.
nini1987 Posts: 2Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:27 pmLocation: Lincoln
nini1987

Return to Verity Cafe